We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake in the Hills...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
$20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

Going to AC for the first time July 27-29th. I'll be staying at Showboat on saturday and Harrahs on sunday. Does anyone know if the "sandwich" trick will be successful at check in for a room upgrade? Ive been to vegas many times and the trick has always worked to get a bigger room or nicer view.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

many times you can get the same upgrade without handing over any cash.

just ask nicely :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

Weekends are usually so busy most rooms are filled so your chances of getting a different room than the one you reserved are slim. A good gambling history will get you an upgrade faster than $20. Save your money and use it to have a couple extra drinks or buy yourself a momento of your trip.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

"Weekends are usually so busy most rooms are filled so your chances of getting a different room than the one you reserved are slim"

Ed is right on the money here, this would be the case at all of the AC properties on weekends this time of year.

"many times you can get the same upgrade without handing over any cash."

"just ask nicely :)"

I also agree, the $20 trick is more of a Vegas thing than an AC thing.

Lake in the Hills...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

Thanks for your input. I am already getting a discount rate on saturday and a free room on sunday I probably should be happy with that!

Washington
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

I personally am not a fan of the $$ sandwich trick at check-in, in AC or LV. I could be wrong, but I have this feeling that the room you receive is the room they originally planned to dole out to the guest. The way I handle the situation is like this. I will wait to see what room the registration agent presents; sometimes I'll immediately ask if they are able to complimentary upgrade me (or for a small, additional charge). If the registration agent comes through, then I will tip accordingly how well that person came through.

Case in point. When I checked in at The Cosmopolitan back in May, I had a reserved a Terrace Suite Fountain View room. I had asked the registration agent if he could get me a room on an upper floor; he said he has one for me on the 58th (just 3 levels short of the Tower's highest level). He even went so far as to add the view from this particular room is phenomenal. I thanked him, handed him a nice tip & upon my room entry, the guy was not kidding! The floor I was on far cleared above The Bellagio Tower whereas the view from my balcony was 180 degrees & unobstructed; 100% of The Bellagio Fountains, continuous view of The Strip (LV Blvd. from Paris, northward), LV Valley lights & the mountains, & what appeared to include downtown LV.

Depending on whether it's a weekday or weekend, I think if something is available at time of check-in, the registration agent will work with you if you are polite, without starting off with the $$ sandwich trick. Just my two cents.

Edited: 9:36 am, July 05, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

It might work on the Sunday night but not on the Saturday night one.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

tripadvisor.com/…27487542

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29750-i78-k427577…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29750-i78-k411189…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29750-i78-k381682…

8. Re: $20 "sandwich" at check in does it work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 07, 2014