We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and eat in November

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay and eat in November

I'll be staying in AC a week in November, but want to be in Cape May on a Monday morning for a 7:30 am birding event. The thought of being on the road..an unfamiliar road..before 6am is becoming more and more unappealing.

So I am things of going down on Sunday, Nov 11 and staying overnight.

I am looking for accommodation just a few minutes' drive from the Bird Observatory and $150 max. Things are getting pretty booked up for events that weekend, so I need to at least firm up something.

Also looking for a place for breakfast that opens early, early. I would need a typical bacon and eggs place, as I can't eat much wheat.

Thanks.

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and eat in November

You could try here but the Cape May forum is rather inactive.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g46341-Cape_May_New_J…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and eat in November

Thanks Dave. I was checking things out and it is still a busy time that weekend. It seems to be a real resort mentality as even the hotels have a 21 day cancellation policy. I am not ready to commit to that. May have to call up one or two to check if that includes off season.

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay and eat in November

If it was me I would just stay in A.C. and drive to the birding event. Why pay for 2 places the same day? You can take the Garden State Parkway. It is a toll road but is just like an interstate. It should take you about an hour to get to Cape May.

Edited: 8:23 pm, October 08, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay and eat in November

I am starting to realize you are most likely correct. When I was first looking at directions it was looking more like 90 minutes, which at that time of the morning seemed a strain. With a timeshare, the cost per nights is pretty small, thus I could consider an overnight but it is looking too complicated.

Thanks.

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay and eat in November

On Nov. 11th sunrise is at 6:37 a.m. So it will be light out for most of your trip to Cape May.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay and eat in November

I think you need to plan for a longer drive time than an hour. From the foot of the AC Expressway to the Parkway is 7 miles, its 38 miles from the Parkway/Expressway exit to Cape May Exit. You'll need to add time for getting from your hotel to the Expressway and from the Cape May exit of the Parkway to your event location. In addition you'll have tolls and three red lights on the Parkway around mile post 10 to deal with. It's easy to get from AC to Cape May but not knowing where your event is in Cape May makes it difficult to give you a better judgement of time. I wouldn't be concerned about the drive, just add a little more time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay and eat in November

Hi Jerrysnj. Thanks for some details. My event starts a 7:30 am (and I think those birders are pretty prompt) Sunset Blvd, West Cape May - The Nature Conservancy's Cape May Bird Refuge.

I was planning to be out of whatever parking lot I am in by 6am.

I have finally bought a GPS, so I expect that will direct me where I want to be, but it is things like tolls and activity that can slow one down.

Will there be a drivethru enroute from the Wyndham, do you know?

8. Re: where to stay and eat in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 15, 2013