We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
404 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Will post as reply

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

ATLANTIC CITY TRIP REPORT JULY 3, 4, 5, 13, AND 15

After buying our new car last month, Jill was in the mood to take it for a mini AC vacation so we called up Borgata and reserved 2 nights – July 3rd and 4th. We also had reservations for the Legends in Concert at Bally’s for the 3rd. Just before leaving, we got a call from our son and daughter in law that they were desperate for a baby sitter on the 3rd. Since they live just outside of AC, we were able to easily incorporate it into our schedule. We arrived at Borgata at 11 am and had breakfast at the Metropolitan. The food was good , but the service was not. Afterwards, I played the horses and Jill played her penny slots. Within an hour she hit the “major jackpot” on her slot. The amount was $350. I was not doing as well at the races. At 4:30 we drove over to Bally’s. I had a parking receipt from Borgata and had to use it since Bally’s was now charging Platinum members $5 to park valet. Within a few minutes our son arrived with our 22 month old grandson, Ryan. We all ate at the Bistro on the 6th floor. Our other son was with us also. The food at the Bistro was horrible. We have eaten there before but this was really bad. When my son asked for refills of his soda, they charged for that too without letting us know ahead of time. Before we finished we let the restaurant know how we felt about the food and they offered us free deserts, We were in no mood to have them but suggested that they give the free deserts to the couple sitting next to us since they also complained about the food. They said “no”.

My son, the baby’s father, left for work and we went to get our tickets at the box office in the Clairidge tower. My wife is handicapped and the round about way to get to the box office was incredible. To avoid the stairs, she had to walk to the front of the building to get an elevator to get to the rear of the building. A closer elevator was not working and it appeared that it has been out of order for a very long time. I purchased a $40 ticket for my older son. We already had 2 comp tickets. Our grandchild got in for free. They charge $16.50 for kids over the age of three. He absolutely loves music, dances to it, and can watch a musical program on TV for hours. Legends featured Elvis, Adele, Bobby Darin, Marilyn Monroe, Justin Timberlake and Whitney Houston. Jill liked Bobby Darin and Elvis the best. Our grandchild could not stop staring at the stage and the singers and dancers. He clapped with the rest of the audience and even danced to some of the songs. By the time Elvis came on at the end, he was exhausted and fell asleep. After the show, the stars met the audience outside the theater and Ryan woke up just in time to take pictures and get a kiss from Marilyn. His mom finished work and picked him up at Bally’s after the show. Here is a collage I made of the Legends pics as well as some previous Rainforest Café pics from June.

…photobucket.com/albums/ad346/ac1hp/IMG-3.jpg

On Tuesday, July 4th, we ate at the Borgata buffet for breakfast. It was quite crowded but the food was very good. I stopped by at the B bar to say hello to Ed and Fran from this board. It has been a while and it was nice to see them again. Then I went to the simultcast room and played the horses originating from Monmouth Park. I had one very close encounter with a very big payoff. I played a triple picking the long shot winner number 3, then played 3 horses for second and picked the 60 to one shot number 8 for third. The 3 won and 8 was third but number 5 got second. It paid $4,100 for a dollar bet. I also had a superfecta bet (picking the first 4 horses in order). I had number 3 for first, 2,4,and 6 for second, 8 for third and 2,4 and 6 for fourth. The correct order of finish was 3-5-8-6 and it paid over $24,000. Both Jill and I had no big wins for the day. We drove over to Showboat for their buffet and to meet our friends Rich and Val. The buffet was quite good this time – the lines were huge. After the buffet, we viewed the fireworks from the Boardwalk in front of Showboat.

The following day we again had breakfast at the Borgata buffet. Played a little and then headed home.

We returned to AC on Friday the 13th after getting an email from Borgata giving us two comped tickets to the B-52’s. We ate at the Metropolitan. The food was not as good as usual, but the service was better than the norm. My son got charged $5.75 for a glass of chocolate milk. He remembered that it was not that price on the menu, so the waitress corrected it back to $3.00. Jill went to play her penny slots and I went with my son to see the B-52’s. This was my second time seeing the B-52’s at Borgata. I had seen them a few years back when they performed at a show with Rosie O’Donnell and Cindy Lauper. They performed for an hour and 15 minutes and it was a real fun time. Here is a pic I took of two of the members of B-52.

…photobucket.com/albums/…P7130419.jpg

Here is a video I took of the group singing the song “Roam”.

http://youtu.be/_NiS0bP0YsY

The show was nearly sold out according to Borgata personnel.

Finally, we returned to AC on July 15th to again babysit for our grandchild. This time we took him to the AC Aquarium. We had never been there before and it was quite a surprise how beautiful the area was. The three story aquarium was quite busy with lots of kids enjoying themselves. The price of admission was only $6 for seniors. Ryan was free. He had a great time seeing and touching the fish. On the third floor there is an outside deck which gives you an excellent view of the Marina area including Borgata and Harrahs. Here is a collage I made of the visit:

…photobucket.com/albums/…ACAQUARIUM1-1.jpg

Here is the view of the Borgata from the 3rd floor outside deck of the Aquarium.

…photobucket.com/albums/…P71504392.jpg

Afterwards, we ate at the Showboat buffet for dinner. Since it was a Sunday, Jill’s could not use her 2 free buffet coupons from Showboat. Instead, we had Entertainment book coupons which gave us $17 off of the buffet price. We asked the supervisor in charge if we also could have used the coupons for the Virginia City buffet and the Madison House (both closed). She said “yes”. The Entertainment book has several of those coupons. After dinner we walked over to the Steel Pier and Ryan was able to ride the Carousel. He was fascinated by the horse going up and down.

Our next AC trip is July 21st when we are going to see the newest Legends show with friends.

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Sounds like you have been having alot of fun!! Grandson is adorable..enjoyed all the pictures!

Edited: 6:13 am, July 18, 2012
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,498 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Glad to read you made it to the aquarium. There is other stuff near it like WebFeet WaterSports http://www.webfeetwatersports.com/ & Crafters Village http://www.oceanlifecenter.com/crafters.asp It may be a reason to visit Gardner's Basin again Aquarium coupon www.oceanlifecenter.com/images/coupon.pdf

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Great report. Loved the picture collage of Ryan!

Beltsville, Maryland
Level Contributor
839 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Enjoyed your report. The collages were a great idea. Looks like your grandosn was having a good time.

NYC
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Always enjoy your TRs & the great pics you include.

Side note: regarding the B-52s concert, you wrote: >>The show was nearly sold out according to Borgata personnel.<<

I think "comped out" might be a more appropriate interpretation. I got the offer as well, and it was still available in my on-line offers on the day of the concert.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Aww....your grandson so cute and having fun at the aquarium . Nice trip report.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,525 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Thanks for the report, sounds like fun!! Great pics :)

GardeniaPalm
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

Very nice report! Cute pics!! :)

wash dc
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TR - July 3,4,5,13 and 15

we are going to Borgota 2 nites & will see entertainer Rufus Wainwright at The Music Box venue in the hotel. I am desperately seeking access for 2 to his VIP Lounge, Meet & Greet, After Party, anything special that goes on with Rufus Wainwright. My Ex has our rating card etc I have none. I will "tip" generously. Please please help if you can....this is very special occasion for me. Any hints or connections or advice?