We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parque Tayrona

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Parque Tayrona

Has anyone taken the bus from Santa Marta to Parque Tayrona to visit justt for the day?

How long did the bus take and did it work out OK?

Do you know how late you can catch the bus back to Santa Marta in the evening?

I heard one runs every 30 minuets.

How long does it take to walk to the beach, once inside the park?

Thanks for any info that can be provided!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parque Tayrona

We were there in February. Getting to Tayrona was more of an effort than I thought that it would be! We thought that we could take a boat from Taganga, so we took a taxi there. Then we found out that there was no boat until 10:30 in the morning. So we took another taxi to Tayrona. That actually cost less than the boat would have cost for the 2 of us. Once we got to the park, we lined up to pay our entrance fee, then we took a shuttle in the park. We then walked. First beach was gorgeous, but you can't swim there. Second beach was fairly small. Third beach was lovely and we stopped there. I'd say we probably walked maybe 1 1/2 hours to get to that third beach, maybe longer. Some people are probably faster - I have knee problems. Coming back we did the reverse. It was a lot of walking! When we got out of the park, we were able to quickly catch a local bus back to Santa Marta. However, the bus was stopped and we all had to get off - customs / taxation check. They removed several packages - I don't know what was in them, but eventually we were allowed back on and the bus continued to the city. It didn't go to the market, so we took a taxi from wherever we were to our hotel.

It was a long day. I enjoyed it and I'm glad I went to Tayrona, but it wasn't quite the relaxing day at the beach. Like I said, some people probably walk faster, and the walk through the jungle was beautiful.

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parque Tayrona

Thanks for sharing, it helps to know what to expect.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parque Tayrona

Just a thought ,you could join one of those cheaper tours - S/Mrta - Tayrona I know what your thinking - why would i want to join one of those cheesy tours?.It may not be your first choice, however it does include transportation park entry fees,boat - Playa Cristal - tour costs start at 35k pesos - what ever they think they can squeeze from you.BTW if you can't pass for a Colombian you'll pay 35k (park entry fees) if you take a tour factor in an extra 18k (park fees) I'll save that rant for another post.

The bus costs 5k cop - S/Mrta - Tayrona - as mentioned a shuttle 2500 cop or you could spring a little extra for a horse(16k?) Where ever you decide to swim,make sure it's safe to do so!

Some of us like to get a different spin,we may even surf other forums =;o))

gobackpacking.com/Blog/…

washington, dc
Level Contributor
244 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parque Tayrona

We did one of those cheaper cheesy tours (Sm to Playa Cristal) in February and it worked out ok. Enjoyed the scenery from the comfortable bus. Tour Bus goes to a different entrance than SBJE in Toronto went to. You then get immediately on a small boat and go about 15 minutes to the Playa Crystal beach. It's a nice beach. If you're there on weekend there are many little places to eat along there. If you're there on week day, possibly only one. You can rent a chair and shade. Also snorkeling equipment (but they're only there till early afternoon - sun and water clarity is better earlier. You will get about 2 to 2 1/2 hours on beach on these tours. Believe number of people is limited to 300 (?).

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parque Tayrona

A tour is not a bad idea.... especially for a solo traveler. I will also check out the blog link.

Thanks for the suggestion!

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parque Tayrona

Your blog link was a great resource for Parque Tayrona! Thanks again! :)

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parque Tayrona

Because I have limited time, I am now thinking about getting transportation from the Santa Marta airport directly to Parque Tayrona.

Does anyone know about that?

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parque Tayrona

Never mind about transportation, I found it, but can not find where to reserve a cabin or campsite in advance at Parque Tayrona.... or is it first come first serve?

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Parque Tayrona

Hey Teetoe!

What did you find in the way of transportation from Santa Marta airport to Tayrona direct?

Owings, Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parque Tayrona

Which tour company did you use?