We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the Pros and Cons of the San Luis Decameron?

Windsor
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Topic
What are the Pros and Cons of the San Luis Decameron?

I'm interested in this hotel because of the package deal being offered on alot of discount travel sites. Can anyone give me some info on the pros/cons of the place?

waterloo
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the Pros and Cons of the San Luis Decameron?

You have open access to all the Decameron resorts while you are there. Shuttle bus travels between them all. If youre not fond of the food at San Luis, reserve ahead and go to another. The almost only restriction with Decameron is that you sleep at the one you are booked into. It is one of the older resorts and some rooms are a bit worn but still clean. Has the greatest (in my opinion) beach on the island. Some prefer the busier downtown area but we like San Luis. Great to snorkel, right out your door. Well, you have to walk across the street. Remember your water shoes cuz theres a band of coral close to the shore, all along the beach.

We stay at the San Luis as its away fron town, has a great beach, and usually is cheapest.

Ontario
Level Contributor
398 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the Pros and Cons of the San Luis Decameron?

The San Luis is older and not as fancy as the Marazul. Some of the rooms are very small. If you stay there ask for a room in the 200 or 300 or 400 block as they are the best. My room was on the second floor in the 300 block and it was very spacious with a big balcony and two giant beds.

The buffet restaurant is not as good as some of the other hotels however the a la cartes are quite good. My favourite hotel on the island is the Isleno.

The San Luis is a party hotel and there will be lots of drinkers there during this time of year. If you like that atmosphere you will be fine. If you are looking for something quieter, try the Isleno or the Maryland. I picked the San Luis for my first time on the island. The reason we picked it was beacuse it was staggering distance to Kella's reggae bar which is across the street. Reggae night at the hotel is always fun as well. They have bands that come in and perform in the theatre area and lot sof locals will stop by and watch from the street.

I don't like the beach at the San Luis. I prefer the beach downtown or the cays. However everyone has a different opinion.

The San Luis is very popular with the Montreal travellers.

Ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the Pros and Cons of the San Luis Decameron?

The San Luis is full of French Canadians....there is nothing wrong with that. However, as a Canadian that does not speak french it is hard to meet people. I was there last week and I didn't think it was a party hotel and it was always quiet for me at night after about 11pm.

There were lots of waves at the beach and snorkling appeared to be impossible. I did think the beach was quite lovely until I went to the Islano. I went to the Islano almost every day after that since I prefered that beach. If you are not a beach person I would go to the Marazul since it happens to have the nicest pool. The Marazul has no beach but has a boat that will take you to a lovely cay each day. The sand is not the best but you can see many different colours of blue within the sea.

I was not impressed with the shuttle service as it was often full and rarely on time. So I took a cab everywhere. With the money I paid in cab fare to go to the other beaches I could have easily stayed at another hotel.

If i was returning I would carefully consider what I was looking for from my vacation. Do you want to shop? Are you a beach or a pool person? Do you want to relax or party? The decameron resorts will accomadate nearly all of your vacation requests and in the end it can be a difference of about $100.00. My advice would be to pay the extra money if you feel that the San Luis will not be suitable for you to ensure a smooth vacation.

Also after staying at the San Luis, 2 girls from our hotel died on motor bikes last week so all tourists should stay off them!!! Pay the extra money and take a taxi. It is not worth your life......no matter how expereniced you THINK you are!

4. Re: What are the Pros and Cons of the San Luis Decameron?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island