We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking About San Andres...

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
794 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking About San Andres...

I'm hoping that the San Andres experts (Razial, Playa4U, others?) can help me regarding a potential future trip to San Andres.

I am single, male, 36 years of age, and have previously traveled to Colombia (Cartagena, Bogota, Cali). I've also traveled to Roatan in Honduras and the Corn Islands in Nicaragua in the past, and am trying to blend my love for Colombia with my love for relatively undeveloped tropical islands in the Caribbean. My questions are:

1) When is the best time to travel to San Andres? I would like the island to be busy enough that I get to interact with others on the island, but not too busy that I have to fight crowds of people while I am down there.

2) I am not too crazy about all-inclusive resorts. Really all I need is a comfortable place to sleep, breakfast in the morning, and maybe all of my drinks (alcoholic and otherwise) included. Hotel El Dorado and Hotel Casablanca look nice, but I'm also thinking about Playa Tranquilo. If I stay at Tranquilo or another B&B, will I be too far away from the action on the island?

I am interested in being very relaxed while in San Andres: Sleeping late, some snorkeling in El Acquario, a cold tropical beverage on the beach, trips to Johnny Cay, and meeting both the Colombian and Afro-Caribe people of the island. Any information is helpful, and please ask questions if you have any. Thanks!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thinking About San Andres...

Thanx Raz ,Happy New year the best to you & the family in the years to come...

I trust the New Year will bring better weather/fishing.

Thanx again for the warm welcome to your island,you are a scholar & a gentleman.

Edited: 9:45 am, January 01, 2012
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thinking About San Andres...

Thanks for the info. I like San Andres. I'd like to get back there one of these days.

Happy birthday!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
53 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thinking About San Andres...

Hi - I'm going to San Andres next month and love the idea of a true island experience in a rented property. I'm having a difficult time finding a place. Could you PM me with the place where you stayed and contact info? Sounds fantastic...

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thinking About San Andres...

Thanks Jeanh,I also would like to return to San Pedro/ Belize.Flash! sounds like we should arrange reciprocal DE get together...

theskaven,I gather you would like the information on the place I rented?If so let me know so i can pass on the contact info.

Saludos!

15. Re: Thinking About San Andres...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island