We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family w/5yr old, is Maryland ok? any suggestions?

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Family w/5yr old, is Maryland ok? any suggestions?

First time to SAI and traveling with a 5 yr old in late february. We were thinking of the maryland. How is the beach? What is there to see in SA? Open to all suggestions. Thanks

St. Catharines...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family w/5yr old, is Maryland ok? any suggestions?

In my opinion, Maryland is ok, perhaps the best of Decamerons with young ones. (Except for maybe the Isleno which, unfortunatelty is no longer there I've heard) I've stayed at the Maryland several times and is personally one of my favourites due to small size and more 'personalized' service. I stayed there once with my 4 year old niece. (the only child with us and I think the only one at resort at the time!) She had a ball!! The pools are safe, a smaller one for young children, and the beach small as well so easy to keep-an-eye-on. The beach is rocky (in the water, not on-shore) and the waves can get pretty strong though. Some of the other resorts may have more activities geared for children (un-sure) but they are busier and bigger. Also, the Maryland is very close to central and many other activities, as opposed to Marazul and San Luis which are much further out. I'd recommend Maryland for sure!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family w/5yr old, is Maryland ok? any suggestions?

Hi! I went quite a few years ago and stayed at the Aquarium (and LOVED it!).

I did tour the Maryland, Isleno (now closed) and the San Luis. Out of all of them, I'd still pick the Aquarium. Note: I forgot to check out the Marazul..I drove right past it by mistake and never back tracked.

What I loved about the Aquarium was:

- Location...turn right coming out of the hotel and walk around the corner and you'll find yourself right down town...the public beaches are there as well..very nice. The Maryland was at the other end.

- Piers...swimming was awesome! Your little one would need to be accompanied by you but put some water wings on or a life jacket and he/she will have a great time! I have this idea that you're never too young to learn how to snorkel! :-)

- Hotel room...I was in Torre 1...3rd floor...amazing view! I could sit in the middle of my balcony and look left or right and see nothing but ocean! I think I was in room 116?

- If i remember correctly, they had a kid's club/program and they had a small private beach (which I didn't use as I loved the piers).

Remember..with Decameron you stay at 1 and can play at all of them!

www.decameron.com

Have fun! wish we had direct flights out of Toronto! :-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family w/5yr old, is Maryland ok? any suggestions?

"What is there to see?"

Things to do....

- Get a golf cart and drive around the island at your leisure

- Go out front of the Aquarium and see if Miguel is still working as a private driver/guide. If he's not there, there's loads of nice people to take you on an island tour...he'll do the entire island and take you to the main points including mountain top (lovely views)...he is an amazing guy...very kind...good english..we had an amazing day with him. Hope he's still there!

- He can even help you get a cheap boat tour of Acuario, Haynes and Johnny Cay....we paid $5 plus a couple of bucks for tips. It ran from around 9:30 am to 2:30 pm. The hotel was offering the same tour at $20 per person.

- I think they have a zip line...I did this in Nicaragua..what a riot!

- Shopping downtown

- Go on a snorkel tour (you can see Mario from the Marazul hotel)

- Submarine tour to check out of the ocean floor if it's still there.

4. Re: Family w/5yr old, is Maryland ok? any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:02 am, February 17, 2012