We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
464 reviews
Save Topic
scuba diving?

is there any in San Adres? anybody been diving down there?

thanks

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving?

Hi Aquauomo,

I havent been yet, I'm planning a trip this month. However, I have a few freinds who've been and have read alot online. From everything I've heard, not only is there diving, but it's supposed to be EXCELLENT and very reasonably priced. I've heard many comments about it being comparable in quality to Cozumel but less expensive :-)

Kitchener, Ontario
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving?

Hi Aquauomo. My husband and I have been to San Andres twice (last time was last November) and we're planning on heading there again for Christmas. Don't tell everyone but the diving there is wonderful. We've always gone out with BuzCaribe (located at the Decameron Marazul) and they are an excellent dive team -- we did our Advanced course with them last year -- they're a friendly bunch and very knowledgeable and safety-conscious. There's a huge variety of dive sites close by -- no long nauseating boat rides -- and plenty of sites accessible from the shore! We've probably seen more sea life diving off San Andres than all the other places we've been to combined. The other nice thing about the island is that it's so small, you can drive around it in a golf cart in about 2 hours -- that also means that if it's too windy to go out on one side of the island, there's always the possibility of hopping over to the leeside and diving there. Hope this helps!

sjd
ontario, canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving?

My husband and I are heading to San Andres on Dec. 29th and we are staying at the Decameron Marazul.....can you tell me what the rates for diving were when you were there tartaneyes?? do you have to prebook with them or can we leave it until we get there??

Kitchener, Ontario
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving?

Hi SJD: Both times we were there we didn't prebook -- we just visited the dive shop when we arrived (it's right outside the hotel lobby). The "head honcho" at the Marazul's dive shop is Jame (pronounced 'ham-ay') -- he's a class A guy! As for prices, I don't recall the exact cost for a 2-tank dive but I do know it was the cheapest we've come across. The usual deal applies -- the more dives you book, the cheaper per dive it gets. I do remember the Advanced course was approx. $400 US for both of us -- much cheaper than any other place we checked out. And you can pay by credit card (Amex or Visa). They'll arrange to pick you up at the hotel in their pick-up truck and take you to their main diveshop in town where they have all the equipment -- the back of the shop is right at the water's edge and the boat leaves from there. Our instructor for the course was David Guggenheim (I know, it doesn't exactly sound like a Columbian name does it?) -- he was a pretty cool guy and excellent both as an instructor and a dive guide -- very knowledgable about all the sea life in the area and seemed to know just where to check for morays, stingrays, etc. Overall, we were really impressed with the dive team (although we did find the owner to be a bit surly -- I think he's German, not Columbian -- the Columbians are generally really friendly and outgoing). We've gone diving with a couple of dive outfits that made you feel less than comfortable and with the attitude of "get in - dive for 30 minutes - get out", no matter how much air you still had left. All our San Andres dives were very relaxed and we always stayed down as long as safely possible -- getting the max out of each tank. We truly love the place and although we try to go to a different place each year, this is one island we have no hesitation going back to.

Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving?

I just got back from San Andres, went diving with Jaime from Marazul hotel. I highly recommend him, $65 U.S included a pool refresher and a one tank dive off shore. The waters are immaculate, I saw a lot of coral and brightly colored fish. A few angelfish and parrotfish. I wish I would've gone diving more than once there, the snorkelling is amazing also, you must do a snorkelling tour, we saw a stingray.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba diving?

great, thank you all for your valuable input. I am just about to book now, for Feb.2. by the way is $958 a week reasonable? (plus taxes and single occupancy premium = $1400 Ca)

what about other sports activity? tennis beach volleyball, etc....and yes, what about night life? is there any? would a single guy ever get bored?

thanks in advance

Ontario
Level Contributor
398 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba diving?

what hotel are you staying at? I will tell if that is a decent price if I know which hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scuba diving?

hehehe..makes sense, doesn't it?

I was thinking at Isleno for $958 + tax and single occupancy premium or Aquarium for $1099 plus taxes again. so the cheapest I could get there for is just under $1400.

I could however settle for much less, Mexico and Dominican Rep. is way cheaper..but really wanted to see San Andres .

What do you think?

Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scuba diving?

If you like to go to the beach everyday, then stay at Isleno, also all of their rooms are oceanview. If you like to sit by the pool everyday, then stay at the Marazul. The restaurants at Aquarium are better. There is no beach at Aquarium. The rooms are larger at Aquarium.

The prices you quoted are good. Go for it.

PA
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: scuba diving?

I will be in San Andres Mar. 14. Can't wait. I've heard it's wonderful. I found a villa/apt. to stay at. I think it is $600 for week. http://www.arriendos.biz/Redcrab.html

Right on the beach. Does anyone know about car rentals? Any web site I can find anything on???

Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island