We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel for us? I have read too many reviews!

Oshawa ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel for us? I have read too many reviews!

I am wondering which would be the best choice for us. I will be travelling with a girlfriend (we are both married ladies, late 40's travelling without spouses) and my 14 year old son. I have heard the Marazul is the prettiest, with access to the keys by shuttle (since the hotel beach is not the greatest) and a pretty resort setting.

I have also heard the Aquarium has a great natural swimming pool but no beach. Does this still feel like a resort? Or is it more of a downtown property? Does it have any gardens?

With a 14 year old boy, I am looking for good swimming, ocean and pool. And a good animation team for activities and evening show and a hotel that has a nice bar open in the evening for my friend and I--ie a lobby bar, or outside bar!

Any suggestions for me?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which hotel for us? I have read too many reviews!

PS...we are both in our early 40's travelling without spouses..we've been friends for 20 years and have been on 10+ trips to give you an idea of who we are.

If I was going there for the first time I would stay at either the Aquarium or the Marazul. That should narrow down your choices for you. Remember that when you stay at one you can play at all five using the Decameron shuttle bus.

The San Luis has a beach but you have to cross the street, or the downtown beach (which is also where the Isleno is located, again across the street..or perhaps by now they built the boardwalk)..the Aquarium has a small beach but it's always empty and I heard that the Marazul beach is nice yet man-made.

One thing we did hear but didn't experience is that the Marazul had the best food, a disco, and a gym.

The Aquarium is not like a downtown property even though you can walk there within 1-2 minutes. The grounds are very well kept...staff are constantly cleaning them. If you look at the Big Juice website you'll see lots of pictures of the different resorts. There's lots of stuff for a 14 year old to do..pool games, volleyball, etc. The pods themselves if you get one right over top of the ocean are great! I would opt for that should we return there.

The natural pool at the hotel was incredible..I loved it there..great snorkelling. You can also go on an island tour with whoever you want but I recommend Miguel..he'll take you a place called "The Natural Pool"..this is beautiful! Your son would probably have a great time there as you can dive or jump off the ledge into the ocean where there's tons of fish to feed.

You can go to the cays by boat for $5 for all 3 cays if you are willing to find Miguel at the Aquarium..he's right out front and he'll help you..he speaks excellent english and he'll direct you to Calvin. Miguel will also be happy to take you on the island tour..he was an awesome guide. And Christopher was also a great guy as well. We can't say enough about then. My write up speaks about the things to do there.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Oshawa ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which hotel for us? I have read too many reviews!

This definitely helps! The other issue that has come to light is that the Aquarium does not take 3 to a room. So it looks like Marzul!

Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Which hotel for us? I have read too many reviews!

March 21-28 is the week that all the young Columbian kids go to the island and party. I am told that the Aquarium in particular is bad that week. We'll be go to the Aquarium March 28th through April 4th... just missing the Columbian 'spring break'.