We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Luis vs. Aquarium?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
San Luis vs. Aquarium?

Any thoughts on this? San Luis is on a beach, which draw me in, but I've heard Aquarium may be better. Can anyone expand on this?

Toronto
Level Contributor
375 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Luis vs. Aquarium?

Returned from Aquarium last night and will post my reviews in a day or two. Here is a quick reply:

San Luis - small compact resort, younger crowd, away from town, party & fun, beach across the road (not a big deal to access)

Aquarium - the only plus point in my opinion is the buildings that are partially over the occaen, which after a day or two is not a big deal, very small rooms and showing their age, you could hear people from next room and or in corridore. It is very close to the downtown, no beach, old hotel, poor grounds

Marizul - closer than San Luis, give you a feel of nice hotel, nice grounds, man made beach but in the ocean, quite and relaxing, beautiful pool.

My personal choice Marizul

Lindsay, Ontario
Level Contributor
331 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Luis vs. Aquarium?

We stayed at the San Luis last year in February! We loved it, the beach, you can walk for miles (seems like it) great pools, great serve, we would back in a heart beat. The beach is breath-taking. We have been to Bahamas, Punta Cana and ofcourse, good old Flordia, be hands down the beaches are great. Now the Aquarium, I didn't like, we went there for supper on night, food was great, but if you are going for the "beach" there is no, and mean no beach! There is a nice dock out in the ocean??? and all you can smell is fishy stuff. The resort is right down town, we found it very busy, but heck we are in our early 50's (not that old) but if you are looking for beach, and good food, good times, I'd say the San Luis hands down.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Luis vs. Aquarium?

Dianne and Other Vets,

We are thinking of going to San Andres for our first time in Feb 2009 for two weeks? We like to walk on beaches and hang out there enjoying the water views, snorkelling, having a few cold ones etc..... Question how far is San Luis from the town.... is it walkable and safe? Looking a doing a few things while we recover from the daily beach activities...

Thanks for your insight and suggestions.... the golf cart sounds like a great idea..... with "polar bear" in hand....

Toronto
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Luis vs. Aquarium?

Thejones,

I was just there and stayed at the Maryland, and went down to San Luis a couple of times (in fact I visited all the Decameron resorts). The San Luis beach is the longest on the island, but it's rather narrow and there's lots of coral (not the pointy kind, but more of a series of slabs) almost immediately as you enter the water (a few metres later, though, you're back on sand).

The beach along the north-east shore of the island is the nicest, both in and out of the water. If you stay at Maryland or Delfines, you need to walk about two minutes to get to it. A bit of a hassle, but one nice thing is that right in the best section of beach is the old Isleño hotel, which no longer houses guests, but is open from sometime in the morning through 6pm, and any Decameron guest can go there for lunch, drinks, or just to stash your stuff while you go to the beach. So that's definitely an option.

San Luis is several kilometres from town; you could walk it if you like walking, and it's not really unsafe, but you'd definitely feel ... unique doing so. The point is there's no one else walking the road except locals going from their house to someone else's, that sort of thing.

But one of the simplest ways to get around the island is just to flag down the first person you see on a motorbike with no passenger; 90% of the time they're eager to take you where you want to go for a very small amount of money (Maryland to Marazul was 3000 to 5000 pesos, depending on the driver, whereas by taxi it was 17000). It feels a bit scary at first and you'll probably hang on for dear life but you soon get used to it and notice that almost every one of the locals doesn't even bother to hang on to anything when riding! And you see more of your surroundings than when in a taxi. If there's two of you, just wait an extra couple of minutes for a second motorbike to come along. I never had to wait more than about 3 minutes (even after midnight) except once when I was at West View near the south end of the island (and then only about 10 minutes).

BTW aside from the other negative comments people have made about the Aquarium, here's another: you could easily end up with a room having a balcony that looks directly onto — get this — the sidewalk that everyone uses to move around the resort. Like you're only 2 metres away ...

The Maryland was quiet, small, and friendly, and still close to the beach and town. And right next door to a great fish restaurant. Marazul is probably the most upscale of the resorts, and has a fantastic bar on the pier — very fun at night with a breeze coming off the water. San Luis is the most partyish place, arguably the most like a Florida holiday.

Hope that helps — this was my first time there and I had a great time.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Luis vs. Aquarium?

CT.... thanks for a great review and suggestions. It will be either San Andres or Panama. Went to MI last year and loved the various beaches. much to consider.

6. Re: San Luis vs. Aquarium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 18, 2009