We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month for snorkelling????

Ontario
Level Contributor
568 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best month for snorkelling????

OK-- got the choice down to Isleno or Aquarium, but what month offers the most water clarity?? Or does it matter? We are totally flexible. Just back from the south coast of Cuba and April sure was better than January!!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

From what I have researched, March -April seems to be the best months for diving. San Andres is very windy and the wind seems to not be as strong during these months. Chartered flights stop mid-end April and only resume in November.

Ontario
Level Contributor
568 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

Thanks kkatt. Any personal expperience there?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

We went March 21 2004... the weather was perfect and the water clarity was fantastic. I am a beginner diver and went to 55 feet and water was perfectly clear. I have heard from other divers there that visibility was good till 100 feet.

We stayed at the Isleno... which I loved, it is a small little resort (42 rooms) all have ocean view's. The Isleno is very quiet, rooms are plain, but very very clean, food is fantastic. Personnel who work there make your stay, very very special. As it is so small, you get to know everyone, guest and workers.

Since it is a Decameron resort, you stay at 1 and are free to enjoy all the other 4 resorts. You make dining reservation 24 hrs in advance for any other resort you want to visit.

There is a free shuttle to take you to the different resorts, time tables are posted. Taxis are very cheap($4/US to go from the Isleno to Marazul), and the local bus is I believe .50 cents

Which ever resort you decide to stay on, you will be fine.

Any other questions, please feel to ask, We are planning to go back, but will be going mid Feb. 2006.

Ontario
Level Contributor
568 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

kkatt-----Thanks! Did you visit the Aquarium? If so, your impressions? Don`t have a definite plan as to timeline----perhaps before Christmas or Jan or Feb.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

We went to the Aquarium a few times in the afternoon for drinks and for dinner.

The buildings are called pods, I never did get to view any rooms, but most people seemed satisfied. Supposively the view is fantastic.

Food was good when we were there. Service was good, grounds, bathrooms etc were all very clean.

The one thing that I did not like was the fact that it seemed as if I was at a cottage and had to sit on the dock all day long. I like to sit on a beach and when I get fed up of the beach... I head for the pool...

Trying to sum it up for you ....

Isleno is very very quiet (42 rooms) .....Isleno charm is the fact that if you are so inclined, you can meet everyone who is staying at the resort, talk to the staff, form new friendships very easily. The fact that this resort was so small and quiet was what made this resort appealing to us.

The Aquarium has more action. The Aquarium is larger (about 200+ rooms) still a small resort, but they offer a lot more daily activities, nightly entertainment, etc., and you will still meet lots of people.

So if you want peace and quiet - Isleno

If you want some action - Aquarium

Either resort, you decide on, you get to go and check all the other Decamerons, have dinner at the different ones, just to get a good feel of what the different resorts offer.

Ontario
Level Contributor
568 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

kkatt: Many thanks. I was leaning to the Aquarium because of the view and snorkelling right from the pier, but the beach is the most important thing for us and the couple we travel with. So Isleno seems best? Two other things: What services are there on the beach? Also, we bring many items to Cuba to give away-- as you know basic things....soap, razors, medicine.... Any suggestions in this regard?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

The best beach in directly in front of Isleno... so you won't be disappointed... and you can always walk over to the Aquarium and snorkle off the pier... have a few drinks... etc

As far as view goes, every room at the Isleno has an ocean view, so once again you won't be disappointed.

I bring school supplies, there is a regular school and a special needs schools.... any item that school kids would use are very very appreciated, as well as the soap, shampoo, toothpaste etc..

Anything and everything is appreciated.

On the beach, amenties (typo) I am not sure what you mean ?

kat

Ontario
Level Contributor
568 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

kat: Is there shade on the beach? Beach umbrellas and chairs provided or for rent? We can just linger there all day!!! How many steps to the bar? Bring a thermal mug for the "coco loco" to last a while? Is the beach rough? Can one snorkel from the beach? Thanks!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best month for snorkelling????

Hi Cuba

You can rent chairs and a cabana (?) last year was a $1. US (I think)....but there is also a huge tree, which is where we sat, I know there was about 8 of us under it and still lots of room, (this way you get some sun, some shade or total shade... )

There was a bar last year, but with the changes they did it was removed, you now have to walk to the pool bar, from what I remember, would be a 1-2 minute stroll....

Definitely bring a thermo mug, it is so hot, the beer gets warm very quick... If you like coco locos... man...Felix makes the most awesome coco loco, I have ever tasted... mmmmm

The sand is nothing like Cuba's...it is much more course... but still very nice... colour of the ocean... well... just beautiful... The ocean is not rough.. mind you... the earlier in the year you go... the more windy it is, we went mid March or so.. and it was calm everyday but one...there was a storm that day... the wind was fierce.

You can snorkle off the beach... but we never did... we had went to different locations to snorkle.. Westview, is my favorite place to snorkle.

You can get a taxis tour, and he will bring you to all the different snorkling spots and a tour of SAI, well worth the money... Lucas, his taxis is parked right in front of the Isleno... comes highly recommended by many people.

We did this, but with another local individual...we had an awesome day...

Anyother questions .. feel free to ask... It brings back all the memories from this remarkable little island... kat

Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island