We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Decameron for us??????????

Ontario
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Decameron for us??????????

Hola a todos: Thought we might try something different after having visited Cuba, Belize, and Mexico a number of times. We want to snorkel a lot, if possible right from the shore ( pier) although day trips are OK also. We also enjoy just sitting on the beach ( near a bar?) watching the world go by; we are not "pool" people. We know staying at one Decameron gives access to all, but which would be the best for us? Hope a number of San Andres enthusiasts can help us .

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
896 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

I have stayed at the Isleno in March 2004 and plan to return in Feb. 2006. Isleno is a tiny little resort with only 42 rooms.

All rooms have an ocean view, I am also a light sleeper and I was never woken up at night by a plane. You do hear them come in and leaving during the day - not a big deal, unless you want absolute peace and quiet.

There is something special about this island, but as with anything, it is in the eye of the beholder...I have never wanted to return to any resort, (so many other places to check out) But... I have fallen in love with this little islnad...and am returning next year,.. the count down has begun.

Ontario
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Thanks, kkatt---- you answered my question in my other post about best month to snorkel.

3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

We returned April 10th from our fifth visit to the island. The best time to go would be March/April.....but usually Jan and Feb. are good times also. We stayed at the Aquarium the first three years and the last two at the Isleno. Both hotels are very nice, but we prefer the Isleno as it is smaller and quieter. We find that the service is better as well as the food because it is smaller. The new boardwalk is great, and as for the traffic behind the Isleno, it has never bothered us while we were eating at any time. It is only about a five minute walk to the Maryland. We like that it is downtown where everything is going on...I am usually downtown at least once a day....lol. All of the hotels have something different to offer, but you get to enjoy all of the decamerons. It is a small island, so you can easily rent a vehicle and go around the island in a day, stopping along the way at Westview and La Picinita to snorkell. The beauty and the people on the island are what keeps us going back.

Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Hello:

My son and I stayed at the St. Louis Decameron. Small pool and some of the rooms were very dumpy. The beach is usually not very clean. If you are used to beautifull beaches like the ones in Cuba you will think the beaches on this Island are a joke. Sorry, but it is true. The beaches on this Island are really Mickey Mouse. Yes the people of the Island were terrifick. Most speak very good English as this Island was originally colonized by the British. I did see a few other hotels that were very nice, however, the beach at these hotels had much to be desired. We went in January and this was the time for a holiday for Quebec students. My son is English and these people ignored him completely. He cannot speak any French. Good thing for the local people who showed him around the island. Funny thing when you end up in a country so far away from home and you are rejected by fellow Canadians. Some of the English speaking guests actually moved to other hotels.

Best bet, go to Cuba and enjoy the best beaches in the world.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
896 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Hi Franco, you are right the beaches are not like Cuba's beaches... but then again... you are not in Cuba.

I posted earlier, that I love SAI, main reason is the people, Hotel was ok, beach was ok ...colour of ocean beautiful...food was great... but the people are fantastic. Even your posting said that. Unfortunately you met some people who made your trip unenjoyable, that can happen anywhere.

I sure hope, where ever you vacation next, it is a great one, cos we all go on vacation to enjoy ourselves and to come back with an ear to ear grin "saying" 2 weeks was not enough...

Ontario
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Right on, kkatt!!

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Hey cubaguy, we were in San Andres last year, actually March 2004. We stayed at the San Luis resort. It is not very elegant, but it`s cute and clean. The buffet restaurant was good, the Italian a la carte and Japanese restaurants were excellent. We went twice at the Japanese. We enjoyed our stay. You should look for Banana as a tour guide, he has great prices for a tour of Haynes and Johnny Cay. This is a must. If you love snorkelling, you`ll love Haynes cay. The fish are just amazing and the island of Johnny Cay is heaven. We took are boat ride to Haynes cay then went to Johnny Cay where we had chicken and fish supper, it was great. Along with a couple of drinks each it cost us $20.00 U.S.

We just got back from Riviera Maya Mexico and we`re thinking of either Margarita Island or Nicaragua for next year. Any comments.

pathfinder2001

Ontario
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Hola pathfinder2001: Thanks for the feedback. Haynes Cay is new to me--jotted that down on the list of tips from all forum sources.I don`t know how long these posts remain accessible. Anyone who knows that?? Bueno, just came back from Margarita in Feb. and had a good time. Stayed at Lagunamar for one week. See my forum posts there. The ocean was rough each day---spectacular but not great for swimming; even the lifeguards were on edge!! One needs to go on a day trip to Los Frailes to go snorkelling; we didn`t go. Nicaragua I haven`t visited. Where were you in the Mayan Riviera? We really like Akumal for the snorkelling-- right off the shore. In the afternoon, the turtles come in. Really quite something to see!!!

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Decameron for us??????????

Hi cubaguy,

Thanks for the info on Margarita. We stayed at the Colonial Palladium in Riviera Maya. It was a 5 star resort all the way. We went for a speed boat ride at Porto Aventuras and the little island that we stopped for a rest was just super for snorkelling. The speed boat ride itself was probably the highlight of our vacation. This was quite an experience.

pathfinder2001