We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Providencia

Which Providencia Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sedona
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flights to Providencia

Just wondering if anyone has traveled to Providencia Island from the western US. We live in Arizona and are trying to figure out what is involved in getting there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Providencia

Lots of great into about the island:

…bootsnall.com/…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Sedona
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Providencia

Thanks, I was able to get lots of good information from this site.

Mark

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Providencia

I just got back from Providencia. You get there from San Andres, it's a twenty minute flight. Satena has three flights a day and Decameron has two (and Decameron only if you book one of their affiliated hotels, which is not a bad way to go). The Satena web site shows schedules, but you can't buy tickets on line. You can get to San Andres through Colombia (Aerorepublica and Avianca) or Panama City (Copa, one direct flight a day). The Copa flights are very expensive (cost me over $500 roundtrip). I personally found San Andres unappealing, but loved Providencia. Let me know if you want more info.

SE U.S.
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Providencia

Hi -- We're traveling to Providencia in mid-June and are very interested in any suggestions you may have regarding hotel accommodations. We've read that booking through Decameron, while convenient, can double the room expense and that most hotels can be booked once arriving on the island.

Do you have any suggestion on where to stay and how to arrange accommodations?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Providencia

Lala73,

Read my link in Post #1. Loads of great info from a great local guy who lives there.

Cheers,

Terry

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Providencia

I will tell you about my experience. I flew from Panama City to San Andres. The flight was really expensive ($524), so next time I would look into coming through Colombia instead.

On San Andres, I went to a travel agency to book the trip to Providencia. I don't usually use travel agents, but couldn't find any other way to book on Satena. They offered me a flight and hotel package through Decameron, which also is not my usual style, but the simplicity appealed to me. The cost was about $500 for flight, transfers, and four nights hotel with breakfast, which struck me as a pretty decent deal. I did not price rooms independently, so can't tell you how I would have done on my own.

I stayed at Cabanas Relax, which is one of four or five Decameron affiliated properties. It's in Agua Dulce, which is where most (but not all) hotels are located. The property is not on the water, but across the street. It's simple but very, very clean and well maintained. The AC works and there are nice hammocks on the front porch. The owner, Robertson, is wonderful. I personally would stay there again just because I liked him so much.

I liked staying in Agua Dulce, it's central, there's a little market, and several restaurants. The beach at Agua Dulce is small and nothing special. There are also several hotels at Southwest beach. That's more remote, about a five or ten minute moped ride. The beach is nicer, but not as nice as Manzanilla. Playa Manzanilla is a tropical paradise. It's about a twenty minute ride from Agua Dulce. There's a great reggae bar/restaurant (Roland's) but no hotels.

I was glad I did not get meals other than breakfast through Decameron. I ate all my dinners at Caribbean Place (Donde Martin) in Agua Dulce. The place is awesome. Service is super friendly and the seafood is amazing. Breakfasts at Relax were very basic.

All the hotels appeared to have rooms available and, absent some special event, I'm pretty sure you could just show up and get a room. The only complication would be that the airport is rather isolated on the east side of the island, whereas all the hotels are on the west side (mostly in Agua Dulce but also Southwest beach and a few near the north end around the Alcaldia). I guess you could get a taxi at the airport and ask to be driven around to check them out.

A word on language. Most of the native islanders speak English but the Colombians, and there are plenty of them, generally do not. This includes ALL the airline and airport workers and security personnel. So it is very helpful to have at least a little Spanish.

Safety was simply not an issue. People are very friendly and helpful.

The island is mostly undeveloped and there's very little to do beyond explore and relax on the beach. That's exactly what I was looking for, so it was perfect.

- Carl

SE U.S.
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Providencia

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. As we don't know anyone who's been there before, we're relying of others to share their experiences. Your information is very helpful.

Best Regards.

8. Re: Flights to Providencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 am, November 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Providencia Island
More Providencia Island Topics