We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

viva colombia baggage fees

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kris9718
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
viva colombia baggage fees

has anyone flow viva colombia recently that could tell me about the extra baggage fees? i had a hard time finding it on their website. im flying into bogota from the US, so i know I will have 45 lbs of luggage for checked baggage. Just wanted to make sure the low cost of the fare is worth it. Also, any one have success with booking on the website outside of colombia? thanks!

21 replies to this topic
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

You didn't mention which airline you will be flying into Bogota or is Viva Colombia the name?

Edited: 10:24 pm, June 09, 2014
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

I see now it is an airline. Have you tried Lan and Avianca? I am flying the latter.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

kris9718

On Viva Colombia website, you have to select your flights, enter names and passport number, and then pick the options you want. Among the options, you'll find checked baggage. For Bogota-Cartagena, the cost is $20,000 per flight.

Beware, it's limited to 20kg, that is to say 44 lbs.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

TARHEEL37

Avianca is the historical national airways of Colombia, and the second largest airline in Latin America. They're part of the Star Alliance program. It is a very safe company with pretty high standards. But like anywhere in Latin America, if anything goes wrong, they quickly become pretty inefficient. It is a cultural trait. It is due to the lack of empowerment employees can get from their company. It is really a common trait among any South American company.

kris9718
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

oh sorry, i am flying viva colombia around colombia. We are flying jet blue into colombia, but I am not worried about that. I think i found out the baggage fees, now just wondering about US people having trouble with the website?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

As Stephane points out, watch the bag weights, theirs is very low.

One of their gotchas to increase your fees at the counter

kris9718
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

Thanks for the info! I was able to book ok from the us. We ll keep our bags under 44lbs and hopefully be ok

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

If you're bag is overweight they will penalize you; their carryon size is ridiculously small. Make sure you print out a receipt showing proof of your internet baggage payment; witnessed a customer get dinged for an additional 50k, she paid via baloto & wasn't supplied a receipt luggage prepayment.

Btw I'm surprised they accepted your international c/c payment; even with that I'm not sure I would fly with them again.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

I just booked a viva Colombia flight for August (but have not actually flown them yet) It appears to be way cheaper to purchase the baggage you need online beforehand rather than at the airport. The website states they allow a small, 6 Kg personal item (small enough that it must fit under the seat) for free, and the rest must be paid for. A large carry on bag (one that must go in the overhead bin) up to 10 Kg they charge 10,000 pesos, and for 1 checked bag up to 20 kg they charge another 10,000 pesos. The carry on bag fee includes priority boarding (they have an open seating concept like Southwest in the US) Very reasonable baggage fees in my opinion. The price I'm sure is much higher at the airport. I had no problem booking from a US credit card and they emailed me a detailed receipt with the fees paid. 83,000 pesos total one way including baggage fees and taxes from Bogota to Cartagena. Can't be beat!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: viva colombia baggage fees

As playa4u pointed out, you get what you pay for. That is to say minimal service.

Most of the flights are fine, but when a problem occurs, they only have 1 or 2 daily flights for one single route, and probably done by the same aircraft. I don't know how many spare aircrafts they have, if any. But the result is that when a problem occurs, you're just left stuck on the tarmac, so to say. And don't count on the legendary Colombian customer service culture.

Bigger companies like Avianca have dozens of daily rotations for the main routes, and if a problem occurs, they are usually able to book you on to the next flight or the one after. They're even able to use a spare plane.

This said, most of Viva Colombia flights are just uneventful and bring you from point A to point B at a bargain price.

Reply to: viva colombia baggage fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted