We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

first time in colombia - unfortunately only have 6 nights. I chose medellin and cartagena as my cities to see. should i spend more time in cartagena or medellin is my big question.

We would like to go to that island to get to the nice beaches (though im fearful of the tourist factor and want nothing to do with an "aquarium" trip) - for one day from cartagena. im from chicago and havent seen the sun or warm weather in oh, 7 months. I just want ONE day of a nice beach. that's all.

We are not looking to tour museums or anything. A girlfriend and i just want to walk the streets, go to bars restaurants cafes etc. Hopefully meet some people. Have some beers and ceviche.

Renting apartments in both locations.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

I would choose Cartagena if your aim is wandering, eating and bars. The old city is awesome and you can party everynight with ease...medellin is great, I live there and would not change for living, but the main parties are Thurs to Sat (although you can find them on the other nights).

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

I think you already answered your own question by saying you want to spend time in the sun

Personally I prefer Medellin as I am not such a big fan of humidity and the excessive heat provided by the Caribbean Coast .

I would recommend you spend your extra day on a short day trip out of Medellin looking round the charming little town of Santa Fe de Antioquia which has a number of bars and restaurants although I never spent a night there. It's a couple of hours each way by bus, probably quicker by taxi. Also You'd probably get the sun but definitely without the beach.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
272 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

feebee45,

Usually I would suggest an extra day in Medellin but as the others point out, given your need for sun and night time fun, well spend it in Cart. then come and cool off in Medellin.

As Sapporosushi points out, there is a town about an hour and a bit outside of Medellin called Santa Fe de Antioquia, its much lower in altitude so it is very warm about all year round. This place caters to people from Medellin who want to get away to the warm climate for a weekend or a few days during the week.They have hotels, kind of like resort hotels with nice large pools for doing nothing more than swimming and relaxing and eating next to the pool all day. I have enjoyed this many times with my Paisa friends and families but it is a small town with not to much night time stuff going on so it may be too quiet for you.

Have fun and bring the sunscreen, it's not the climate your use to in Chicago.

LA Traveler

Tallahassee...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

I just booked a trip to both cities as well - grew up partially in Cartagena. If you plan on going to the Rosario Islands in Cartagena then definitely spend the extra day there. Rosario Islands are DEFINITELY worth the trip but anytime you spend there means less time in Cartagena itself. Give yourself the extra day.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

4 days to Cartagena and 2 to Medellin.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

Thank you everyone!!! i appreciate it. I am staying the extra day in carta and have a saturday and sunday night in medellin. Looking forward to it!!!

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

Sat night in Medellin? Don't miss Jesus Dulce Mio in Las Palmas. A real Colombian party experience.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

Hello I am glad you choose Medellin

If you want warm weather right now we are having nice days here really hot, you can enjoy a lot over here many different places to visit in a short time, as well a lot of bars night clubs and restaurants.

And the option to do shopping at the fashion capitol of Colombia, visiting different outlets in town.

Let us know if you want some advices here in town.

Best Regards

9. Re: One extra night - would you give it to cartagena or medellin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 09, 2015