We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avice needed for first visit

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Avice needed for first visit

Hello everybody. My wife and I will be visiting in May for one week. Could use some tips on hotels. All I really care about here is a quiet location and a private bath.

Things to do, hotel location, and anything else will be appreciated.

Also, how much time is needed to get to the airport, check in, security, etc.

Thanks!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Avice needed for first visit

Hotel Engina is not close to Sabaneta, maybe a typo, as a former resident of Sabaneta it is a cool small town attached to Medellin, but it lacks hotels,.

Sorry but having lived in Medellin, i would not stay close to Mayorista, as you state - very seedy at night, great vegtable market though.

Not a good choice when traveling with the wife.

Edited: 10:02 am, January 10, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Avice needed for first visit

Sabaneta is up and coming as far as the Hotel scene is concerned. When I first went there, they had no hotels and now there are at least two that I know of. With the metro, you can be in centro in 25 minutes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Avice needed for first visit

Mayorista is for people traveling with very little money. I would never stay there.

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avice needed for first visit

My apologies. previously I was told on this site that the area of Medellin around the Estadio Metro stop was called Sebaneta or something similar to that.

The Hotel Egina is not far from Estadio Metro stop.

To be honest I quite liked Mayorista on my two previous stays in Medellin, never felt threatened in anyway and taxis are available to take me to other areas of the city and the metro is close by Auyra Station..

Possibly Mayorista might be for people traveling with little money. But it might also be for people like me who have more than a little money who choose to spend it wisely by staying in a cheap but yet perfectly adequate hotel (Central Plaza) and use it as a base to explore the city/area.

Whilst staying in that area I also meet what I consider to be normal everyday people at the farmers market, shops and cafes in Mayorista. Yes at night prostitutes do come out to the small bar area but when they realise you are not interested in what they offer nor will you buy them drinks they simply leave you alone. Just like I assume happens in any city in the world.

People are different - not everyone is the same .

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Avice needed for first visit

I know the area pretty well, if you are a single guy, speak some Spanish, and looking for a deal it is a possibilty, but not for your Colombian wife, if i told my wife we were going to stay in the area she would kick my butt, she is a Paisa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Avice needed for first visit

There are too many safer areas all around Medellin to stay and its not that much more actually.

Medellín...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Avice needed for first visit

Hello, once you arrive to Medellin you can take a micro-bus right to the down town Medellin for only $8.000 COP 4,50 USD evey half hour or you can share a taxi to the El Poblado or La 70 very good place to stay, central and a Metro Station Close ($1.800 COP Metro ticket), right now the avarage price for the 70's hotels are B&B $30.000 COP 16,00 USD.

Down Town Hotels could be cheaper but the Area is not good to be after 6:00 PM

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Avice needed for first visit

Sorry but checked prices on La 70 3 years ago before living in medellin, i did not come across any hotels that were $16/night - most were in the $50-70 range per night.

For that cheap you would have to stay in centro, in a very iffy hotel.

But i like La 70 area, and the prices are better than Poblado, just bring earplugs if your room faces the street, lots of small discos and video bars that all pump out different music at night

19. Re: Avice needed for first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 07, 2014