We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking domestic flights ??

Quepos, Costa Rica
12 posts
Save Topic
Booking domestic flights ??

Should i book my Medellin to Cali flight in advance or do i wait and book at the airport last minute. ? It looks like there are allot of flights,but dont know what airline to fly and are there domestic flights in the same airport or do i need a taxi ?? Gracias .. Remy

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking domestic flights ??

Flights are usually more expensive the later you book them

3 main domestic airlines in colombia, that I know are Avianca, Copa and Aires with Aires being the cheapest sort of a budget airline of Colombia.

Medellin has two airports one close to the city centre one about an hours drive away which is something else to bear in mind besides prices

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
298 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking domestic flights ??

Let me give you my thoughts. I returned last week from Medellin. I have 5 trips to Colombia and various cities including Bogota and Medellin (not Cali) just in the past 1.5 years.

This past December at Christmas and New Years time, very busy time, I found a flight from Medellin to Bogota with little problem. As long as you have some flexibility on the day and time you want to fly I don't see you having any problem. Yes there are allot of flights.

So my suggestion is that you wait until you are in Medellin to book your flight. This will also give you some flexibility should you want an extra day or two in either Medellin or Cali. Yes you may pay a little more for the flight as the result of purchasing it last moment but the flexibility that it gives you, I think, is well worth the little extra cost.

Have fun!

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
30 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking domestic flights ??

Hello Remy,

I have visited Medellin several times (most of them by car), and I found it a beautiful and charming city.

The Rionegro`s airport, the one that I know, is, as you may guess, not in Medellin.

You could take a Taxi or a shared van which is more convenient in price.

The same deal in Cali, which airport is located in Palmira.

Where to get a van or a Taxi, in Cali`s airport? as soon as you exit the local arrivals gate, you will find them. The van will leave you in the Bus Terminal (Terminal de Transportes) and there you may take a Taxi.

If you take a Taxi at the airport it will cost you, around, USD 25 - USD 30, to Cali (no matter where).

On the other hand, the airline which I could suggest you is AVIANCA.

However, I also flight with COPA or AIRES (no problem at all).

Enjoy your trip :)

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking domestic flights ??

You can catch the bus to and from MDE into Medellin centro for 7K pesos - a taxi will be close to 60K pesos - the bus lets you off at Hotel Nutibara - across from Botero Plaza/square - you can grab a taxi there - Poblado is about 14K pesos taxi ride from there.

It is about a 50 minute bus ride -

Just exit outside of arrivals - there is always a bus waiting - it leaves when it is full or about every 1/2 hour.

Quepos, Costa Rica
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking domestic flights ??

Thanks for the feedback !! Are all of the domestic flights out of the same airport, or is there an advantage say flying avianca because they are at a closer location not an hour drive..??? Gracias Remy

6. Re: Booking domestic flights ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 07, 2012