We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medellin to San Gil

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Medellin to San Gil

Hi all,

I plan to travel to Medillin in November and spend a few weeks there. I want to take a side trip to San Gil. Has anyone been on that bus route or made that trip via airplane?

I dont mind a long bus ride but would like to limit it to one and possibly fly one of the legs.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
279 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medellin to San Gil

In January 2010 I did the bus trip from Bogota to San Gil and loved every curve and bend in the mountain. After spending about a week in San Gil I continued on to Bucaramanga then after a few days returned buy bus back to Bogota. Be sure to visit Barichara outside of San Gil.

BTW - I will be in Medellin next week. My second visit to this city.

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medellin to San Gil

I think you are best taking a bus. I do warn you though, it can be scary or a thrill depending on how adventurous you are. I admit I pray when bus driver is going fast along curves on a mountain but it sure is fun. As far as I know, there are no flights to San Gil. You would have to fly to Bucaramanga and take a bus to San Gil. I doubt there are direct flights from Medellin to San Gil.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medellin to San Gil

Last year we flew Aires from Medellin to Bucaramanga, stayed there one night and then took the bus to San Gil. You could probably do it one day if the flight is early enough.

The flight was very cheap and left from Medellin's downtown airport. There are frequent buses from Bucaramanga as it SG on the road to Bogota.

Aires is easy to book online with a foreign cc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medellin to San Gil

Oh, i did not know about Aires. I will definitely check it out for other internal flights. This sounds like a better option than taking the bus from Medellin.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medellin to San Gil

Thanks Londinense.

Berkeley, California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Medellin to San Gil

Hi, other than the curves, is the bus comfortable? does it have semi-reclining seats or are you stuffed into a bus like sardines? trying to gauge if i want to deal with 11 hrs of it from medellin to san gil ...

thx.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medellin to San Gil

Colombian buses are re-comfortable,complete with full reclining seats,2 w/c & DVD movies(albiet en espanol)They have A/C ,they tend to be cool so bring a sweater or blanket...

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medellin to San Gil

What buses should we take though. We learned, do not take MArisol, they suck.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Medellin to San Gil

What bus would you recommend from cartagena to santa marta? how long is the journey? do we book in advance? what is the cost?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medellin to San Gil

Stacy, welcome to the T.A Colombia forum.

You have landed on a previous topic on bus travel from Medellin – San Gil, you can open a new thread (topic) on bus travel; Cartagena – S/Marta. This will speed up the process and give you a wider range of responses from travelers who have traveled this bus route recently. Similarly you can start another topic to ask any questions to help you plan your trip to Colombia.