We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombia to Panama

travel_junkey73
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Colombia to Panama

Hi guys

Can someone please tell me the cheapest way to get to Colombia to Panama? How long does it take and how much does it cost?

Im assuming the cheapest way would be a boat as flights would be super expensive???

thanking you in advance

TJ

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombia to Panama

A boat is going to take time - by the time you factor in all the costs involved not sure if you would save money - airfare is running around $400.

Unless you have a lot of time I would fly and try to save the money elsewhere.

travel_junkey73
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombia to Panama

Thankyou so much for your reply. When you say time how long will it take, how much will it cost approximately and where do I get the boat from?

Many thanks

TJ

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombia to Panama

The cheapest way would be to walk across the border between Sapzurro and La Miel. Or you could take the a launch from Capurgana to Puerto Obaldia. Or you could hitch a ride on a private sailboat from Cartagena to Panama or Colon. But if you want regularly scheduled transit from one of the major Colombian cities to Panama City, I would follow CDY's advice and catch a flight.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colombia to Panama

Everything you need to know to start your research is here:

www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

travel_junkey73
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Colombia to Panama

Acek and Martian you beuaties thank you!!!!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colombia to Panama

Have heard some horror stories of the sailboat trip - unprepared boat with drunk captains - so buyer beware a bit - seems like the run between Cartagena and Colon would be your best bet for catching a ride - but again when you factor all the costs in don't know how much you would save - if you have plenty of time and not worried about delays -it might make sense.

travel_junkey73
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Colombia to Panama

Cheers CDY...I think ill get a boat anyway...to be honest ive had enough about thinking about tommorow if my times up my times up at least ill go doing it my way...travelling and seeking adventure! cheers for your help guys!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colombia to Panama

As CDY says buyer beware re:sailboat tour read a trip report recently envolving a family that does sailboat tours between Pan-Col lets just say they make the Adam's Family sound tame.

Good luck with your adventure T.J maybe a trip report upon return.

Edited: 6:10 pm, May 31, 2011
travel_junkey73
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Colombia to Panama

cheers player and CDY...I did a three day trip in Bolivia on the salt flats with a drunk driver who tried to kidnap and kill us, so bring on the drunken sailors...youve been great guys thanks for your help...i think ill try and get to turbo in colombia then make my way across to Panama...Do you know how I would go about this journey and how long it will take guys?

thanks in advance

keep smiling

tj

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colombia to Panama

Well you are posting in the Medellin forum, so assuming you are in Medellin, you can take an overnight bus to Turbo. You can also fly from Medellin directly to Capurgana on ADA.