We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

My friend dragged me here in Summer of 2007 to Poblado, and I found my way to Laurelas after my third trip. I have been here 10 times so far, my longest visit was 33 days and that wasn't even long enough.

(I will be adding to this as thoughts pop into my head)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

Little did I know , editing is not allowed. Well to continue, having arrived in laurelas, I started to walk around and noticed many dozens of cool restaurants all over the place, especially on La Setenta and Nutabera.

I tried one after another and started compiling a personal list of my favorites.

There were days I never left the laurelas area, there were malls there as well with many movie theaters. I stay from 9 days to 17 days usually.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

I hope at some point you venture outside the Estrada 5/6 neighbourhoods of Laureles/Poblado and begin to discover other aspects of Colombia in general and Medellin in particular. There's a lot more to Colombia than the American Dream of endless malls and movie theatres...

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

I have been venturing but I always find my way back. I was in Santa fe, I found my way to the pools, which were great. There are tons of restaurants all over the place that I have sampled. Sabeneta is another favorite of mine as well as Bello.

Mentioned in this post
Bello
Bello
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

So, Terry, is it fair to say that Medellin is one of your favorites places to visit in Colombia?

After reading about the increase in violence (I'm referencing another post on that issue), I was striking Medellin from my list of possibles (still researching where to go in this large country with only 2 weeks, but just received my Lonely Planet and Bradt Guide on Colombia).

Given this increase, do you recommend it at this time?

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

I understand most of the crime is in the bad barrios. I have friends in laurelas and Poblado that say its still good there.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

As mentioned in the other thread Medellin's skyrocketing homicide rate does not affect tourists on the gringo trail.

Cheers,

Terry

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

I will use caution as always. I am about to go for 5 weeks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

Just enjoyed 28 days in Medellin. Was real lucky as Aventura was playing in a concert there so I was able to attend that as well. Many of my friends live in the poorer barrios thru out the City and this trip, they advised me to not expect invites to their homes.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Living the American Dream (In Colombia)

Yes Colombia is absolutely beatiful and the people are very friendly. I have been there 5 times and will return again in April. I love Medellin and the people in that city!