We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, Arizona
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

We are very excited about our upcoming trip to Medellin, Feb. 21st through March 3rd. This trip is to see if Medellin is accessible enough for me to leave as close to a normal paisa life as possible!

While I do have some trepidation about leaving the laws of ADA behind me, somehow I feel and even seen hints of accommodation for those with physical. ‘Some’ of the light rail stations accommodate for sure.

I have no idea about the public buses but I suspect that since all N. America buses are built to be accessible that new buses coming online in Medellin would have this feature. My hope here is that it cost more to get one without accessibility from the manufacture.

I use a three wheel electric scooter that I travel with at all times. I can transfer but that is about it. Today, when I fly, I ride my scooter to the door of the plane, transfer to an isle chair, and am whisked to a cramp coach seat like anyone else. The airline then puts my scooter in the baggage department.

We are flying AA so this isn’t an issue, I don’t have much of an idea about Colombian airport/flights, if there is a jet way, I am good to go. However if there is no jet way, and unlike here they do not have portable lifts/elevator to take isle chair up, that would be of significant interest now or later on down the road when I can investigate myself.

What I would like to do here is pass on my general upbeat feeling towards my visit to Medellin as a disabled person. I know there will be many challenges as it pertains to accessibility during our stay but I hope to document it so that I can share with other disabled travelers. There will be lots of photos of curb cut outs, lifts and any other accommodations for the disabled that I can detail.

My hope is to be the Anthony Bourdaine from the ‘disabled’ persons view.

So if you have information prior to our trip please write. I will be posting near daily updates of my exploits including photos of Medellin’s accommodations and yes, even lack of.

Cheers,

Fred and Luz

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

Hello Fred. I'm from Medellin and never recalled seeing any elevators at the Jose Maria Cordoba International Airport in Rionegro, Antioquia (a.k.a Medellin) I tried to research some info. but did not find any on the airport. However, the metro (El Metro de Medellin)has elevators in each station. I also heard that the new park dedicated to Juanes- our famous rock star, is accessible to people with disabilities, with courts, special equipments, fitness center for the disabled, computer rooms, outdoor theater, park and gardens. I will try to find more information for you.

Take care.

Jacqueline

Glendale, Arizona
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

Jacqueline,

We hope to hear back after you do your scouting. It is so nice to have eyes looking for those little things, curb cut outs are usually right at the top of my list for crossing streets and just getting about.

Thanks,

Fred and Luz

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

Hey Fred,

The airport in Medellin does have an elevator. I found out thru a friend that used to work there, because I couldn't find anything on the website.

About the street curves.... I dont know :S

Glendale, Arizona
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

I now know how to travel inside Colombia. We were in El Poblado for ten days but traveled all around Antoquia.

We made it work. Am writing a book on disabled travel, well my travel I wanted to write a quick note here if you are a disabled traveler and would to know more about my experiences traveling to Medellin.

I had a fantastic time and traveled using a large three wheel electric scooter (for all my mobility) and manged very well with cabs and the metro de medellin.

Colombia has similar laws as here in the US ADA but it's based on WHO standards. They do have their own form of disabled rights and all new public infrastructure has access....along el poblado for example....

Really nice bang up job being done by Metro de Medellin. Once to a station I was free to travel. As for the pueblos, Laurels seemed the most accessible in general but that is also a flatter area of the Medellin area.

The big help there for disabled urban citizens will be when public bus system starts. These will logically be accessible. None of the chiva's I saw has a blue wheel chair sticker on it and I saw lots of them everywhere.

Flying...you should never concern yourself when disabled and flying unless of course your medical situation precludes you from flying...if you think it hard to flay because of disability you are missing out on one of the truly most regulated rights we have. DOJ has and is going after cruise lines that carry US passport folks to follow all ADA guidelines so really accessibility anywhere in the developing world...sweet

I find most disabled don't understand you can take your own equipment, more equipment above and beyond normal baggage limitations. Anyway...back to my writings...

Write if I can ever be of help in your disabled travel.

5. Re: Visting Medellin Feb 21, 1 Physically Challenged Disabled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 25, 2009