We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

I will be visiting Cartagena ( for 4 days) and really like those bags known as Mochila Bags. Does anyone know the approximate cost of one? I see they are sold on line for over 100 USD. I am curious what they cost locally as I wonder if I can buy a few as gifts or if they are too expensive for that. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Full-Day Rosario Islands Including...
124 Reviews
from $95.00*
Free Cancellation
Half-Day Tour to Totumo Mud Volcano...
46 Reviews
from $35.00*
Free Cancellation
Baru and Playa Blanca Transportation...
82 Reviews
from $29.00*
Free Cancellation
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

hand made, wayuu tribe mochila, I'd say somewhere 100 and 200.000 pesos. You can find cheaper ones, like 30 or 45.000 pesos, but they may be Made in China :)

If you have the opportunity to go to Riohacha, in the Guajira region, you'll find mochilas directly sold by the wayuu women themselves, and at a better price (more around 100 than 200.000 pesos).

Size matters, but the main factor is the complexity of the patterns. The fabrics are usually local cotton and wool.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
882 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

If you go to Artesanías de Colombia (state-run, 4 locations in Cartagena, see their website) you'll get authentic and quality stuff but it will cost you. Most anywhere else it's buyer beware and the real issue is whether authenticity is important to you. Same deal for the "sombrero vuieltiao" and maybe for hammocks too, but that last purchase is kind of heavy so not as viable anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

Thank you, Stephane and Rich. It sounds like I can at least buy one for myself. I am not a big shopper at all (it's my husband that is) so when something does catch my eye I like to act on it. The bag is something I could actually use rather than just collect dust.

I appreciate the tips on where to shop.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

Try Las Bovedas (the dungeons) inside the old city. A row of 12 Plus craft stores that are a great place to look for presents.

Mentioned in this post
Las Bovedas
Las Bovedas
2,160 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
5. Re: Cost of 'Mochila Bags'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 19, 2017