We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
33 reviews
26 helpful votes
Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

It seems that a Ferry Service between Panama and Colombia will be inaugurated today, Oct 24th, 2014.

It will leave Colon, Panama every Monday and Wednesday, and Cartagena, Colombia, every Tuesday and Thursday. The trip should last 18 hours.

Prices from USD 99, vehicles USD 300 (180 for motorbikes).

Ship name is SNAV Adriatico, her last position can be tracked here marinetraffic.com/en/…SNAV_ADRIATICO

Official website here : http://www.ferryxpress.net/

Press article here: thepanamadigest.com/2014/…

Cali, Colombia
2 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
11. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

http://www.ferryxpress.net/

is the website. I ve not tried it yet since I am in Ecuador but have talked to a number of people who have seems ok.

Calgary
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
12. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

Well... Colon to Cartagena is a great trip on the Ferry Xpress, leased SNAV RoRo ferry. The ship is clean and the service by the Italian crew is excellent. Three restaurants give you good choice and the quality of the food is good, how be it a bit on the pricy side. Be prepared for long (several hours) delays while passengers are processed by under staffed Ferry Xpress staff and Immigration people through a very inefficient system. Also, be very careful as the sailings are highly unreliable. We booked a sailing from Colon with a return a week and a bit later. Both sailings were cancelled and had to be rebooked resulting in two days of lost time while rebooking as well as lost wages from work due to a return delay, extra flight charges to change a ticket, and lost hotel bookings in Cartagena. The excuse given on both occasions was that the cancellation was due to weather, including one excuse for a sailing 8 days from the cancellation. A quick check with a pilot friend of ours confirmed that the excuse was fiction.

For a few pictures, check out http://JKeithHowie.com. There will be more postings for the actual voyages.

Given the lack of bookings and a few other telltale things, my guess is that they are about to go out of business. BE CAREFUL.

Edited: 12:00 pm, March 22, 2015
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
100 reviews
87 helpful votes
13. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

If they cant stick to a schedule, wont survive long, allof these ferry adventures seem to underfunded.

Unitl a professional shipping/ cruise company comes in, none will work.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
33 reviews
26 helpful votes
14. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

The service started with unprepared customs and migration staff on both sides, Panama and Colombia. The end of year, especially had been hectic.

Ferry Xpress, is until now, has been by far the most reliable nautical way to join Colombia and Panama.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
15. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

Hi everyone,

Any updates on the ferry from colombia to Panama? Going to do the trip soon so advices and infos would be great!

Cheers

Calgary
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
16. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

I just got back from Panama yesterday and specifically checked out the Ferry Xpress office. It is gone! All the signage is gone and the windows are papered over. There is a rumour that it is closed for the season and will open again in November, but it is just a rumour.

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 post
1 review
17. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

Tracking the SNAV Adriatico using www.marinetraffic.com shows that the ferry is back in Europe servicing the Barcelona-Menorca route.....

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
33 reviews
26 helpful votes
18. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

Yes their facebook page is saying they'll be back in November. But it is advisable not to plan any trip based on this information.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
19 helpful votes
19. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

I just read on www.overlanderphere.com that French people used the ferry in Dec 2015 ! They posted a review dated 11 Dec 2015 as follows: "Compagnie: FERRY XPRESSprix de la traversée: 818$ Quel bonheur d’avoir pu embarquer sur le fameux Ferry. C’est un sujet qui revenait dans la bouche de tous les voyageurs que nous… " Details of the whole experience is explained further. IS IT TRUE? Is the Ferry Xpress operational again. We are desperately trying to ship our RV - Camping Car from Panama to Colombia. The earliest ship is only on 28 Jan 2016 which is far too late. Thank you for your reply. Stephan

Calgary
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
20. Re: Finally a Ferry service between Colombia and Panama?

I doubt that. We have been in Panama since 1 Nov 15 and have driven by the downtown office several times. It is closed and all the signs are down. If they are operating out of another location it doesn't seem to be evident on the Internet. This is the latest posting I could find and it was dated April 2015. I would suggest contacting The Adventure 2000 tour operator, who seems to be in charge.

FERRY ENDS SEASON

The Ferry Xpress is a popular way to travel to Cartagena and Isla Colón in Bocas del Toro. It ends its first season on April 23. The Adventure 2000 tour operator that handles international tourism, and marketer of Ferry Xpress, notes that it plans to start a new season in November. The Ferry Xpress will have two options for Caribbean cruises starting from the port of Colón 2000. “We will be more focused on promoting the product throughout Colombia, South America and the United States,” said a spokesperson.