We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel vat/iva

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
62 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel vat/iva

Am I correct that's it's refunded when you leave the Country ?? Seems that the hotels charge it at 16%. Yes ??

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel vat/iva

OK , welcome to the " Wall of shame Thread" posters are welcome to post their IVA hotel tax grievances. This is only for Hotel IVA Tax Exemptions; all other hotel beefs should be posted in the hotel review section. A little further down the road; this thread could be an eye opener...;)

Edited: 2:48 pm, May 24, 2014
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel vat/iva

Here's my "Hall of Shame" list:

1. Hilton Bogota. Will not exempt unless you have purchased a "package" such as room + meals. Just a room does not count.

2. Alfiz Cartagena. No exemption despite extensive efforts.

3. JW Marriott Bogota. Required 15 minutes of argument at check-out to have it taken off the bill. Clerk (very rude - quite unusual for Colombia) told me I was supposed to make the request at check-in.

4. Marriott Bogota. Removed by front-desk at check-out. No argument but it was described as a "favor" and took at least 15 minutes.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel vat/iva

There is one detail on this law. They are talking about "paquetes turisticos". Packages.

The idea of a package is that at least 2 distinct services are presented as a bundle.

As a consequence, a simple hotel night is NOT a package. But an offer hotel night + breakfast IS a package.

Simple hotel night = You pay 16% taxes

Hotel night + breakfast (or any other packaged offer) = You don't pay 16% taxes.

This facebook page of an hotel explains very clearly (in Spanish) how they implement the norms. They did the right interpretation of the law:

https:/…599649400052359

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel vat/iva

I can only think of TWICE in the last three years my hotel didn't include breakfast in its "package" neither charged me IVA. The Mediterraneo Hotel Medellin was the only one which insisted I pay the IVA ;most hotels include breakfasts in their rates anyways.btw I get my IVA tax advice from a DIAN abogado - which incidentally doesn't post on facebook...8D

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel vat/iva

What's your point, playa?

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel vat/iva

I just returned from Cartagena and when you leave the country go before checkin to the customs and ask for a 1344 form. You have to show all invoices of purchases such as clothes, jewely, shoes. I asked for refund of hotel taxes but this was not inlcuded. You will get you refund deposited in your credit card within one or two monthes. Use one credit card for purchases.

17. Re: Hotel vat/iva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 02, 2015