We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Planning the itinerary of my round the world trip, I will travel from Tulum/Cancun/Coba to Antiga, Guatemala. My next stop will be Cartagena in Colombia, but I don't mind going to Panama or elsewhere to get a cheaper transition between Central America and Colombia.

The flights from Guatemala/Panama City are way too expensive at $300/600+ so what is the best solution since we can't use the roads all the way down.

Let me know, thank you.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

You could try looking for flights > San Andres Island - Colombian mainland, you can also compare the prices from San Salvador: however keep in mind Colombian migra officials on S.A will give 45 day visas in most cases.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Here you go: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294073-i1708-k556…

I've also done that route with no flying at all, just boating/hiking down the east coast.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Yup, as Terry suggests, the Capurgana/Sapzurro crossing is your best bet. You could also look for a spot on private boat from Panama to Cartagena, but that is a hit-or-miss affair.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

i read about the capirgana way and it fits the bill! however, is it safe?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Safer than Mexico and Guatemala.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

perfect then, i was worried because of its proximity with the Darien Gap

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

It's not a unique route anymore. There's quite a few off-the-beaten-path travellers doing it now although most people fly between Puerto Obaldia and Panama City instead of doing that section on a private boat like I did (on a coconut trader.)

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Lecheria, Venezuela
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
770 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Yet another option lazhar... wonder around the marinas.

Some boat owners (I know in Cartagena they do) look for qualified and unqualified crew members to help with choirs while travelling for free.

Cooking, cleaning, and minor maintenance duties.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

I've made the trek thru C.A from mexico to south america a number of times using different routes. I love doing it. It's very easy to avoid planes to panama but from there it takes some time and patience to make it to colombia without the benefit of airplane.

Best route I had was getting on a supply boat in Portabello just outside of Colon by a couple of hours...fairly cool town in and of itself with quite a bit of history

Next is a private yacht which is easy to find utilizing any one the panama city hostals for their recommendations.

Carpugarna is a beautiful little resort ...safe and relaxing and just a couple hour high speed boat ride from Turbo and bus transport to the rest of colombia

When in Panama try to land a job as a lineman for one of the yachts transiting the canal. Need to do some networking on either side of the canal. It's the best way to see the canal...and it's free...no real work involved other than throwing a iine a half dozen or so times...kickass fun

In all of my times of years of traveling this route I have never met anybody who has crossed the darian gap pn foot or met another person who has done so...

Edited: 12:23 pm, February 04, 2013
Newhaven, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel cheap (and slow) from Central America to Colombia?

Have you done your trip yet? I'm also looking at the best route from Guatemala to Colombia on a budget - probably Jan/Feb time, so very interested to hear how you found it :-)