We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around walled city

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
getting around walled city

Is it possible for an elderly person with a difficulty walking to get around the walled city ie: wheelchair rentals?

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around walled city

It would be somewhat difficult to travel by wheelchair on some of the streets in the old city. The sidewalks are narrow, quite uneven and very high curbs. You might be able to manage some of the streets where traffic is restricted.

Lecheria, Venezuela
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
784 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around walled city

Some parts are OK, my suggestion is to cut a deal with one of those horse pulled chariots and explore it with the wheelchair in it.

When you see a spot you find safe , get off and use the wheelchair.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around walled city

Thank you so much for that tip - a great help:)

Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting around walled city

Haven't seen wheelchairs, but if you can hoist yourself up onto a horse-drawn carriage you can see the Old City in a most pleasurable way. Colombia is not yet ready for Wheelchair access and the cobblestones, and narrow sidewalks would make it difficult for you even if you could find a wheelchair to rent.

Edited: 6:37 pm, January 28, 2013
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting around walled city

wondering07, I am currently in Cartagena and my tour guide friend told me something that may be helpful to you. Apparently, now in the old city, they close the streets to any vehicle traffic after 5 PM every day. That would make it a lot easier to get around in a wheelchair. He said that they also do that on the mornings that the cruise ships come to the city.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting around walled city

I am not sure, but aren't some streets cobblestoned?

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting around walled city

thank you for your help

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting around walled city

I don't believe that there are any cobblestone streets in the old city. There are a few with bricks but I am not aware of any with cobblestones.

9. Re: getting around walled city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2014