We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Topic
Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

My friend and I will be travelling in Colombia and want to end our trip in Cartagena (before a few last days in Bogotá), probably the second week of February. But we're not exactly sure yet when we'll be there and feel reluctant to commit to exact dates.

Are there enough low-budget hotels in the centre that will have a double room available last-minute?? Am I wrong in thinking that there are plenty of very small hotels and family-run guesthouses that do not appear on Booking.com, Venere.com and such sites, and that it's low season?

Or should we book now?

We're hoping to find something simple but clean (and with some charm) for about US$30-50 per night (private room) in or near the historic centre.

Thanks for any comments!

Edited: 11:42 am, December 31, 2012
1. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:29 pm, December 31, 2012
Edited: 8:29 pm, December 31, 2012
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

The question is about Cartagena, correct? You should be okay showing up without a reservation. Not sure how you will do in in that price range. Cartagena is expensive, especially within the walls.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

Cecile, I agree Cartagena hotels are expensive, given the fact that you will be visiting Cartagena in Feb;you may still find hotels will be charging high season prices.I have re-posted an earlier post you may find relevent to finding cheaper hotels in Cartagena....

There are many “budget minded” accommodations in Cartagena that are passed over by booking sites such as the ones mentioned on Trip Advisor; the smaller hotels may lack knowhow or sufficient revenues to attract said booking sites.

Unfortunately finding more affordable Cartagena accommodations may prove difficult, language barriers, insufficient advertising (websites), poor selection of decent Colombian travel guides and their unwillingness to list sufficient recommendable budget minded hotels.The biggest expense you’ll encounter, is when two people share a room, in most cases the owner will charge double the rate for additional occupancy.

My best advice would be to acquire a list of hotel addresses for the area you desire to stay in, broaden your search to include smaller hotels (residencias), B/B etc… A personal visit, room inspection and some basic negotiating skills should help you make a choice.You should also include barrios just outside the Old CIty i.e;Gestsemani

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

here's what i do when i arrive in cartagena....i go to casa vienna in Getsemeni and check my bags with them...hans is the owner...he and his staff are very cordial and will do this while you go out and look for accommodations if you decide not to stay with them. Casa viena is also a good place to visit for info and networking with other fellow trekkers.

..normally i stay at casa casona across the street and one block down...but there are many budget hotels and hostals nearby

...hope this helps

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

Hi Cecile74. Still high season. There will be plenty of people fleeing the snow and cold. Cartagena is incredibly beautiful and therefore is very expensive. Even in Gestamani your price range may be very low. Gestmani is becoming gentrified and prices are going up. Prices in the historic center of Cartagena are more like the prices in Miami than the rest of Colombia. Now, you probably would not get a private room in Miami for $30 to $50 a night and if you did just think what it might look like and where it might be. You may want to look at Boca Grande. The prices there are lower and the beach is very nice. Good luck and have a great time.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

Thank you for all the replies! Good to get a reality check beforehand... Will look into Boca Grande, and Laguito (found that in another thread).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

Lots of budget hostels/hotels in Gestsemani where you can get a private room well within your price range. Forget about "charm" perhaps, but no problems finding a perfectly comfortable/secure place to sleep in a decent location with easy access to the Old City.

Cheers,

Terry

Lecheria, Venezuela
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
782 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

cecil, mid february IS NOT high season.

My advice is that you book in advance on a reputed hotel for ONE night. and once you are here you can see for yourself where to stay.

You may want to reconsider your budget... seems pretty low unless you aim for a hostel with shared dormitory and bathrooms...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

$30 - $50/night for a shared dormitory and bathrooms?!?!

Honestly, it's like you and sfjam are visiting a different city than the one I know...

Cheers,

Terry

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we find a hotel last-minute mid February?

True Martian, Everyone's travel experiences are different. Everyone's needs and expectations are different too. I have learned because of some very awful experiences that what works for me now is to find a comfortable clean place ahead of time. I have travelled by the seat of my pants many times and most of the time it was fine, but, after a few bad bad experiences I now do a lot of homework and make sure I find a comfortable clean safe place ahead of time. The thing I like the most about these forums is that people can bring all their travel experiences and knowledge and put it out there. I remember what it was like to travel with just "Let's Go!" no internet, no forums. I used to pull into strange cities on strange continents speaking strange languages and get on a pay phone and start calling for rooms. That is something like your travel experience now, no booking ahead, just looking for a cheap comfortable place to stay when you arrive. I am glad and just a little jealous that you are able to travel like that.