We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety?

Wembley Downs...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Safety?

I believe Cartagena is fairly safe? Can anyone tell me if the same is true for Santa Marta or any other beach resorts nearby? Any areas to avoid?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety?

Elvisneverlied, just read Reply #1. Stick to those tourist areas and with normal common sense you'll be fine. Simple.

Cheers,

Terry

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety?

I had no issues within the old city, but did not visit Bocagrande at all.

To be honest areas outside the old town did come across as a tad sketchy, but at the end of the day using some common sense is the best advice.

Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety?

I thought I would piggyback on this discussion instead of starting a new one. Would you all consider Cartagena and Santa Marta safe to travel with a 4 year old? We would love to visit Colombia as we have never been and are deciding between Costa Rica and Colombia. We have been to Costa Rica already. Thanks for any input.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety?

megmay, just read Reply #1. Stick to those tourist areas and with normal common sense you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Terry

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
874 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Safety?

Safe Indeed megmay ... A thing to remember is that Cartagena gets extremely hot and humid and may get uncomfortable for a 4 year old in broad daylight. I would recommend to stay indoors between 11AM and 3PM,... this would be a perfect time for a siesta.

Edited: 8:11 pm, September 10, 2013
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Safety?

Cartagena is tourist magnet; hence the stronger police presence will be in the more touristy areas.

Yes the heat/humidity can get to anyone; kids are especially prone to heatstroke, early am and evening walkabouts are best. When hitting the beach seek refuge under the shady coconut tree and remember to hydrate often...

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Safety?

Is Colombia safe these days, say compared to Guatamala?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Safety?

safer then Guat City?

In general Colombia is safe if you take normal precautions; sure there are no go zones, like anywhere consult a trusting local before you forge on.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Safety?

Absolutely Cartagena is safer than Guatemala City, but like 95% of these 'questionable' places in Latin America, they are fine to travel to if you travel smart. Every city in the world has dodgy areas. Throughout all of Latin America I've very rarely felt unsafe, and this is after years of travel. if you want a couple of great stories on Cartagena or Palomino, bit further north, you can find them under this link; dontforgettomove.com/category/…

This website also has some great tips on Latin America in general. Enjoy!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Safety?

I walked all over the city and I am certainly a gringo that stands out from the rest of the people around. The only problem I had was with the police. They attempted to rob me twice on two different nights in Plaza de Trinidad. The locals were nice, the police were terrible. Two bad for them that it is the same guys every night who work that area. I was able to get my money back from them, but it probably was not the best idea for me to even bother. I guess they didn't want any trouble, so the came back and gave me my money after I made a big stink about it. Just take a cab late at night and avoid the dark side streets as there it not much you can do if the police are corrupt.