We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

I understand that the Mar Sol Shuttle service is a good alternative to get to Santa Marta from Cartagena. Have anyone experienced using this or any other service.

Thanks in advance

51 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

I haven't used the service personally but my friend (a tour guide) in Cartagena recommends Puerta a Puerta (door-to-door) as being a good shutle service to Santa Marta. I trust his judgement; he has never steered me wrong.

Medellin, Colombia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

Marsol offers a door to door service (puerta a puerta) or a door to office. From cartagena to santa marta you ll save more than an hour and it s way cheaper than the cost of a taxi to the bus station/bus fare/taxi at your destination.

I it is surely the best way to travel between those 2 cities

Edited: 7:56 am, August 30, 2011
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
40 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

Hi! I was in Cartagena in April and I took the door-2-door service to Santa Marta. It was fine and I would recommend it. However, if you haven't been before do be aware that the boat journey to the Tyrone beaches is...hmmmm, 'thrilling' haha. Enjoy - it's a wonderful country in my experience.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

Thanks Cardiff. Tell me more about the boat trip, which company and where you picked it up. Also, which door to door service you used.

canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

The door to door service IS door to door, but it is not 3 hours. We took the shuttle from Santa Marta to a Hotel in Cartagena, expecting 3 hours as promised. However, they stop in Barranquilla and they drive around endlessly trying to fill the van before proceeding to Cartagena. If they cannot fill the van they transfer you to a small car (Toyota Corolla size) and that is suppose to fit 4 passagenger plus luggage, very uncomfortable to say the least. But they do pick you up right at your hotel and deliver you right to the door of your destination. On the way back we spent a hour sitting in the car waiting for them to find one more person to fill the car before they would leave. they find that person by having someone stand on the side of the road with a cardboard sign " Barranquilla" or " Santa Marta', and again the same thing happens when you reach Barranquilla, so the trip took 6 hours instead of 3.

When we did the trip the next time we chose Brasilia bus lines (large bus service similar to Greyhound) but that was even more insane and they still tried to pick up people along the way, even though we specifically booked, non stop in Barranquilla, we spent 2 hours in Baranquilla (part of that time was spent fixing a flat tire), so having said all of that, I would take the door to door service. It is a beautiful drive.

Edited: 7:34 pm, September 16, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

Thanks Tappa. We might just skip Santa Marta and spend more time in Cartegana or just rent a car.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

My mom and I used Marsol to take us from Cartagena to Tayrona and were HORRIFIED with the service. We were told that this 'puerta a puerta' would take us to our destination just outside of the National Park. We took the last departure out of Cartagena and upon reaching Santa Marta at 10:00pm the driver told us he could not take us any farther and made us get out on the side of the road. He informed us that there was a hostel a few blocks away and we should see if they had space open and find a ride the next morning.

I'm sorry, but dropping two women on the side of the road, in a strange town, at 10:00pm is absolutely unacceptable.

This is without a doubt the WORST service I have experienced in my year and a half in South America. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Needless to say we did not use them on the return trip and instead went with a bus company (Brasilia). We were very satisfied with their service and the price was much more reasonable than what we paid for our so called "door to door" service.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

What an awful experience!

There are people on here who continuously tout Marsol as providing an easy 3 hour journey from Cartagena to Santa Marta/Tayrona. That was definitely not my experience (more like 5-6 hours, with lots of time driving around Barranquilla). I would never recommend them.

Thanks for sharing your experience, perhaps it will save others from repeating it.

9. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:12 am, April 16, 2014

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta

Thanks for these recs. I will be traveling to Cartagena Memorial Day weekend and want to I to Santa Marta so these tips are most helpful.

Reply to: Taking the MarSol Shuttle from Cartagena to Santa Marta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted