We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Could someone please advice on where to get a boat from Cartagena to Panama.

71. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, January 18, 2015
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Haha - another poster with no other posts other than a PR piece for a sailboat.

Everything is awesome - buyer beware - not really a review just a lot of bull - not sure why these sailboats seem to be the worst culprits on TA, captains fighting with each other and planting reviews I guess.

Based on everything I have read on these boats from both the Panama and Colombia forum - booking any of them would be a bit of a crapshoot.

I would not trust any of the posts, would want to talk with someone in person who could verify they were a paying client - and get the real scoop.

Cartagena, Colombia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

What is your problem?

Please feel free to contact me, as far as i know i am a real person and had a great experience that i want to recommend....

maybe you should rather just go on a trip like this then judging based on this forum... if you had a bad experience then share it but please accept that others did not.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

In your post

- you used awesome 3 times ( everything was perfect??)

- you tell others not to believe the other posts about thiis boat

- you have 2 posts to your name - both on this boat

Sorry but a bit skeptical

Save Reply
75. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

To all the cynics:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3_FsRp5lk

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Nice video, but doesnt change the isssue, too many first time posters gushing about how great everything is on certain boats - the posts looks like plants.

Again for whatever reason these discussions in regards to sailboats plying the waters between Panama and Colombia attract a lot of first time posters the gush about how awesome everything was, they dont look like reviews but more of self promotion.

The one big issue i have with TA - they do not verify the identity and legitmacy of posters, granted i know everyone has to start somewhere with their first post, but these sailboats get an awful large amount of them

77. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 17, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

Hey,

Hostel Mamallena has most of the sailings. I would recommend booking in advance so that you get your boat of choice. We tried to get on the Gypsy Moth but it was full for our dates, it looks amazing and we heard really good reports about it, I think an English couple run it. I would definitely try and get that one.

Whichever you choose make sure that you see the boat first, as often the captains will talk a load of rubbish. Also ask about the safety raft/ life jackets/ snorkel equipment available.

DO NOT take the Odyssee II - we went on it and it was a nightmare!!! Really dangerous (life raft was deflated as it was so old, not enough life jackets), rude captain, tiny cramped conditions, pretty dire food - all in all my worst travel experience.

Good luck and have a ball!!!!!

PS bring snacks in case you get hungry :)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

We had an amazing time on the Fregatla, with Spanish/German Will as the Captain.

We had booked in advance on another boat but two days before we were meant to leave, it's mast snapped. Given the issues with captains, we were a bit concerned about getting chucked in with any old captain. However, Laurel from Blue Sailing managed to get another boat's departure brought forward and we met Will in the office and got a good vibe from him. He turned out to be a really nice guy, funny, safe and, pretty much, what you would want from a captain.

Food was really good, especially the curry rice and the best scrambled eggs I've had. And the lobster on the BBQ in the islands. Also, they did not overload this boat. We all had beds, through some chose to sleep on the decks in the San Blas Islands (unlike a catamaran that we saw which had 20 people for 12 beds).

Boat aside, this trip is incredible and the San Blas Islands live up to your expectations: good weather; snorkelling; sunbathing; and a good mix of drinks and relaxing.

As a side note, this forum has become a joke in the last few posts and gave us little useful information about captains and boats. Just get in touch with hostel Mamallena or blue sailing who organise the boats and will give you some decent information about the captains and boats.

Kiwis backpacking around South and Central America for 7 months.

Panama
13 posts
Save Reply
80. Re: sailing boat from cartagena to Panama

the yacht captains are not going to like this news...but the ferry is up and running...no longer an urban myth...2 days a week each way colon ...catagagena...99 bucks for a salon seat plus 25 bucks if you have one of those giant bags

Got myself an old man´s discount from colon to cartagena....outside cabin for $144...last monday the 17th...18 hours later was in cartagena...ready for whatever after a hot water shower and a good nites sleep on a comfortable bed...beers on the fantail under palm leaves were $3...

I think they have communal showers as well for the salon seats...lots of room for sleeping on the carpeted floors as well...

Breakfast was $12...decent but not the best choices on the buffet line...

Beautiful boat...nice staff...about 20 percent capacity passengers...less than that for vehicles...about 300 for a car...150 for a motorcycle...approximately on those numbers