We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money/creditcard/travelercheck

mirabel , qc, canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
money/creditcard/travelercheck

Hi , wich choice is the cheapest & is safe

the be able to move around the resort

(Las Americas Resort ) & the city? US money

Local money, credit card , traveller check?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money/creditcard/travelercheck

Traveller's checks are not easily cashed so don't bother bringing them - the hassle is not worth it.

Major international credit and debit cards are accepted almost everywhere, and you can withdraw at almost any ATM, with the advantage that only ATMs and electronic transactions give the official exchange rate (so more pesos for your buck, which works in your advantage coming from abroad). It could be useful to check before leaving what restrictions you have on your card for withdrawing abroad.

Bringing local money from abroad is probably not easy, so you could also bring some dollars just to be safe (in case there aren't ATMs immediately on hand) and carry some cash on you when you land. You can change them at "Cajas de cambio" (exchange houses) but bear in mind the exchange rate there will work against you. Taxis will also probably accept dollars, but this would be the least advantageous exchange rate of all!!

I personally travel with only credit and debit cards, where one doesn't work the other always does.

Panama
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: money/creditcard/travelercheck

There are ATMs everywhere, so it would be easy for you to withdraw cash from your credit/debit card (in pesos). I normally use credit card for restaurants and shops. Always keep pesos for tips and taxis. Remember that Las Americas Resort is located a little far from the center of the city so you will be taking taxis a lot. Before you take a taxi, make sure to agree the fare in pesos.

Ottawa
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: money/creditcard/travelercheck

I agree, bring some US dollars to get started, then take out cash at an ATM, they are all over the place in Cartagena. Taxis are super cheap in town. About $2 for a 3-4km ride.

Get answers to your questions about Cartagena