We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

Chicago
1 post
Save Topic
Hotel

Hotel Recommendations in Downtown

I am visiting Cartagena in November and I would like to get some hotel recommendations. I am interested in a place that is clean and with good service.

Please advise.

Your comments are very important for me because I am not familiar with the town.

Thanks in advance.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
294 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel

Check out Casa la Fe. Really good value for money and a very nice atmosphere. The hotel is also very centrally located.

Boston
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel

Hello,

I just came back from visiting Barranquilla (North by 70 miles to Cartagena )and spent the weekend in Cartagena. I stayed at the Hilton Cartagena and it is located in Bocagrande part of the city. The hotel is a $3 US taxi cab ride to the old city. I also stayed at the Hilton a week in July this year.

Hilton has a decent beach aligning it and has a nice pool set up. Their rooms and bathrooms are up to date and furnishings in good shape. The beds are suberb. There is cable in each room with wireless in the main areas. The staff is very helpful and professional and all are bi-lingual. The dining area and bars are well maintained and instill confidence. I believe the room rate is $200 a night but can be got for $160.

Cartagena is an interesting, historic city but one has to get use to the countless line of venders who ply their wares. The exchange rate for he US dollar is about 1650-1930 Colombia pesos based on the exchange or hotel. Enjoy yourself

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel

Maury,

The big question is do you want a hotel inside or outside the old city wall? On the beach or away from the beach? Once you can answer those questions the situation becomes very clear. Outside the wall, Hotel Caribe or Decameron, inside the wall, Hotel Santa Teresa or Sofitel Cartagena Santa Clara. It's a beautiful city and don't get hung up about the hotels.

White Plains
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel

Maury, the other question you need to answer is do you want a commercial or non-commercial hotel.

I had a chance to stay in the Santa Clara Hotel and in Casa El Carretero. Both gorgeous hotels but tailored at different audiences. The Santa Clara Hotel is huge. I think it has over 100 rooms. But is has all the amenities you would expect from a large hotel like the pool, restaurants, spa etc.

Casa El Carretero is a boutique hotel and not commercial at all. Of the two I preferred Casa El Carretero because it offered me more privacy. It only has three rooms and the staff only catered to us. We felt very special.

Their site is www.casaelcarretero.com

I would also check out the rosario islands. They are great.

Have fun

5. Re: Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 12, 2009