We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

We are planning on staying in Villa de Leyva for a few days. Would it be feasible timewise and costwise to hire a driver and travel to Barichara just for the day, have a look around and some lunch, and then return back to Villa. Thanks for any help.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

Possible? Perhaps yes but why. I was in Villa de Leyva 2 weeks ago, the "direct" non-stop bus from Bogota took just at 4 hours, so figure 6 to 8 hours from Villa de Leyva (there and back) to have lunch in Barichara........

Two years ago I visited Barichara for the day but that was when I spent a week in San Gil, Barichara is a great place to walk the cobble stone streets and wander through the old historic church and pass a few hours, the building architecture is simply amazing.

BTW, my best photos ever were taken in Barichara so I get the appeal for the visit. Why not spend a few days in San Gil and do a 1/2 day visit to Barichara?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

Going back to your OP on the other thread:

No, even with a private car I wound not undertake doing this trip in one day.

If you consider the cost, effort, the travel time it takes to get from V de Ley – Barichara.It will take the better part of a day and keep in mind that’s with good road conditions. Barichara on its own could be viewed in a half of day, having said that you would be missing a lot more interesting stuff to see and do.

Imho Barichara would provide a more relaxing 2 day stay than San Gil

Barichara has a better climate, less traffic ,smaller, easier to get around.

Its a great colonial town - relax and drink in the flavour of this amazing part of Santander Colombia.

San Gil is not as appealing in itself, it is well situated for making day trips.

As noted, buses are a perfectly safe,reliable,inexpensive way to travel in Colombia.Why rush a perfectly good trip for the sake of a quick lunch...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

Thanks for that info. We will go back to our previous plans. Plan A is we stay in Barichara two nights and then transfer to the airport in Bucaramanga, but as the flight to Medellin is in the morning, from what I have read, this would not work out. We would have to stay one night in Barichara and one in Bucaramanga.

Plan B is we skip Barichara and bus back to Bogota from Villa de Leyva and fly to Medellin from there and have an extra day in Medellin and Cartagena.

Will we be missing a lot if we skip Barichara altogether? It is all starting to sound like a lot of rushing around even though it would be nice to see. Are we better spending more time elsewhere?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

If left up to me, no I wouldn’t skip Barichara!

I can’t tell what to do but I will say when on an adventure I rarely back track to the place I started. If natural progression takes you to Bucaramanga then I would gladly spend the night there. I actually like Bucaramanga, if it means traveling thru one nice place to get to another…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

How true. One last question: if we catch a flight to Medellin from Bucaramanga that leaves about 10am how long from the city to the airport?I have read that it is out of town. Is there accommodation closer to the airport that's OK?

Edited: 8:00 pm, June 24, 2012
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

It should take 20 min downtown - Aeropuerto Internacional Palonegro (BGA).It may take a little longer if traffic is heavy..taxi fare is approximately - $15.Some hotels may have a private shuttle service i.e. - Hotel Dann Carlton & may include it in their price?,regardless I don't think you'll find a better hotel closer to BGA.Imo it’s a trade off if you stay downtown you won’t be stuck away in some dead zone…

7. Re: Day trip to Barichara from Villa de Leyva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, April 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bucaramanga