We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

Jerusalem...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

Hi,

Me and my wife (30 yrs old) are planning to take a flight from HK to Yunnan (Kunming or Lijiang or Dali) on Sunday Oct 6th. On Friday 5 days later we need to take the flight back.

We love trekking and want to see scenic views such as rivers and mountains (we rely enthusiastic about rice terraces) and we dislike temples and historic palaces.

Can someone tell us what we should do and how to plan it wisely such that we wont burn too much time on busses (sleeper buses are OK)?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

>>"...are planning to take a flight from HK to Yunnan (Kunming or Lijiang or Dali) on Sunday Oct 6th."

I'm pretty sure (not 100% positive) that your flight from Hong Kong will land in Kunming so that you can change planes, even if your final destination is Dali or Lijiang.

The most popular hiking areas are in the northwest of Yunnan, whereas the rice terraces are in the southeast part, which means they are impossible to combine without backtracking. Furthermore, from all I've read, the rice terraces are not at their best in early October. (Though I have not been there myself at that time of year.) You might want to take that into consideration.

There is also some rugged hiking to be done in the west and southwest of Yunnan, in areas less visited by casual tourists. Your ability to handle those areas will depend to a large extent on language skills and ability to get around in the back country, away from tourist infrastructure. Won't be suitable for everyone.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

I believe that Kunming - Dali - Lijiang is a reasonable 5-day itinerary in Yunnan though it's mostly about historic places. However you may visit the Tiger Leaping Gorge and the Yulong Snow Mountain in Lijiang or hike on the Cangshan Mountain in Dali if you are interested in rivers and mountains. I guess these could be done within your five days in Yunnan.

Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

We flew into Lijiang, stayed 4 days (too long), hired a driver to Shangri La, stopping at Tiger Leaping Gorge, and spent 2 nights in Shangri La, flying from there to Shanghai. I really enjoyed Shangri La compared to the money grab of Lijiang. Just to get up the mountain in Lijiang will cost $200 per person...

Jerusalem...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

Thanks kells, your answer is very helpful.

Did you suffer from height sickness in Shangri La? I have some worries due to a bad experience I had in northern India (though, the elevation there was a bit higher). If i'll go to Shangri La just for 2 days, I don't want to spend half the time suffering in bed.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

If you are worried about altitude issues in Shangri-La, one good strategy is to spend a few nights acclimatizing at intermediate places, such as Dali and Lijiang. Make the ascent gradual instead of sudden.

Many other tips, plus "do's and don'ts" can easily be searched up on the internet.

6. Re: Trip advise - 5 days in Yunnan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 19, 2014