We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

Which Yunnan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UnitedStates
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

Hi,

I would like to visit Yunnan and Shangrila in Aug with my parents, husband, sister and a young infant. My question is:

1) Is Aug a good time to visit?

2) How easy can we plan our own trip?

3) How easy would it be to hire a driver that can take us around and what would be the normal cost per day?

4) Will the altitude in Shangrila be ok for a young infant?

Thanks

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

AS for the questions:

1)August is kind of rainy season in most part of Yunnan;

2)if you come this time, it's better to make plan before you come, because it will be on most busy time for tourism.

3)the cost for transportation is depending on where or how long you will go visit.

4) not very sure with your last question.

but if this is your first time to Yunnan Province, it's better to start from Dali or Lijiang, then up to Shangri-La will be better for you have time to used the altitude.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

Hi Puteri_Love, I wrote in the forum submitted on 13 March 2012 about our 10days 9nights trip to Yunnan and Shangri-la under the title TOUR of YUNNAN. We used the service of Edward Adventures. We thoroughly enjoyed the time there with a Private guide and driver ALL organised via Edward Adventures. THere is now 6 of you. Therefore suggest you do what we did with as that will be most pleasant when travelling in Yunnan. By so doing this will solve yur question 2 & 3. Re altitude of Shangri-la.. as we started from Kun Ming and climbed the altitude gradually, you should not be affected by it. Young infant should cope better than the adults.

Hope that helps. IF you have more questions, I can try to help.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

Definitely consult your doctor before you take your baby to high altitude. Don't trust advice from a forum.

4. Re: Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 27, 2013
UnitedStates
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

Thank you all for the responses.

Not sure why I just saw all the responses.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

6. Re: Visiting Yunnan and Shangrila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2014