We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International and domestic flight delay

Malaysia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
International and domestic flight delay

Hi guys...

I'm concern about flight delays during the peak season. I will be flying KL - Chengdu and Chengdu - Jiuzhaigou in October. Can anyone kindly share and give an idea of the current situation, especially about International flights (evening/night flights) flying in or out from Chengdu Airport? I'm flying from KL (6.15pm) and expected to arrive Chengdu 10.40pm.

What if I plan to take the next morning flight from Chengdu - Jiuzhaigou? Should I take the early or late morning flight? How many hours before departure is needed to be at the airport?

Next is my flight home schedule at 11.55pm from Chengdu - KL. What is the possibility of flight delay at such hour? I don't want to miss my connecting flight home.

Appreciate your feedback! Many thanks!

Edited: 10:45 pm, July 25, 2013
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International and domestic flight delay

I wouldn't worry too much about delays in October at CTU. Fly KL to Chengdu as planned, spend night in Chengdu. For the CTU-JZH flight, it depends on how long you have and what you want to see. If you want to see Huanglong Park also, then take a morning flight CTU-JZH departing no later than 9 am. When you arrive at JZH, you'd head for Huanglong since that takes several hours rather than all day, with enough time later in the afternoon to get over to accommodation near Jiuzhaigou Park. Because park entry tickets are expensive, you want to get to park early (at opening) and max out each day there, whether one day or more. After that, I'd aim for a flight JZG-CTU departing around 11:00 in the morning. This gives you a chance to wake up at a reasonable hour, eat breakfast, check out, and drive the 1.5 hours back to airport in time for 10:00 check-in. And plenty of time once back at Chengdu, to go into city (if you will be staying on in Chengdu for 1+ days) or if leaving that night, put your luggage at CTU Left Luggage and go into town for sightseeing, meals, etc.

What I would NOT do is plan a departure from JZH-CTU that is scheduled to arrive at CTU in the early evening--it's the JZH-CTU schedule that would be more likely to slip in the event of bad weather/visibility. I think there is little chance your international flight would be delayed unless your aircraft is late leaving KL to start with. For international flight check-in, you'd want to be at CTU by about 22:15 for a 23:55 flight. But far better to already be in Chengdu city keeping occupied.

Edited: 12:31 am, July 26, 2013
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,380 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International and domestic flight delay

One of my rules of travel is never take a domestic flight to connect to an international flight the same day. Nothing is ever sure at 100% and in this sort of situation, the consequences are pretty bad.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: International and domestic flight delay

Many thanks to KVchina & Jean -Pierre for your great advice! I'm a bit worry of my domestic flight home coz the airline retime the flight to an hour early. If the CTU-KL flight is delay, then I will be in trouble...sigh..

Just a thought, which domestic airline is more reliable for the CTU-JZG route?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International and domestic flight delay

Again, on the day that your international flight is scheduled (late aat night), get back to Chengdu by early afternoon. As to airlines, I think any of Air China, China Eastern, or Sichuan Airlines are fine. Chengdu Airlines flies the route but I'd place them at the back of the pack.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,380 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International and domestic flight delay

Never assume that they will be on time. Even with a 99% chance of being on time, what if you happen to get that 1% probability.

Nobody can tell for sure and it is not always the fault of the airlines. I did not fly in and out of Chengdu often but I had delays every time as it can be pretty foggy there. But if you are late arriving it is usually due to the departure city.

6. Re: International and domestic flight delay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 30, 2014