We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chengdu Panda Base

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Chengdu Panda Base

I know you can do 1 day as a Volunteer at the Chengdu Panda Base. Has anyone done this and can you advise the cost?

I think you should be able to book it through your accommodation. I might send an email to them directly as well.

I had found a review on TA and now can not find it!

Thanks

Chengdu
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

Windhorse do a tour starting at 1080 RMB for 1 day.

windhorsetour.com/panda-volunteer/chengdu-pa…

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

Have not tried that this year. The regester cost is around rmb600 per person last year. Better to book it through your hotel days ahead or just go to the base early in the morning (usually starts at 08:30 am) for register in low season.

Edited: 8:46 pm, January 23, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

I want to stay clear of tour operators as they are more expensive and I don't believe the cost gets passed back to the Panda Research Centre.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

Business is business.All the tour operators earn money by offering service to travellers. I don't believe they will tell you that all the money you spend for panda tour flow back to Panda Research Centre.

If you don't want them earn money from you. Try to contact panda base by their authorized website http://www.panda.org.cn,and catch taxi there for panda volunteer activities. The work staff speak good English.

Chengdu
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

If you want to support panda research then Chengdu research base (http://www.panda.org.cn/english/index.htm) explain how you can send them money. If you just want to have an educational one day holiday then contact a travel agent because they have the contacts and can often arrange things that the public can't. If the Research base was enthusiastic about dealing direct with tourists then I am sure they would have mentioned it on their website. Conversely, they don't mention the posing with panda picture sessions either so you might just get lucky. You could try ringing them - Tourist Service Center - Customer Question Hotline: 86-28-83510033

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

Is the Chengdu Panda Base open on weekends (Saturday and sunday)?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
971 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

supposedly open every day of the year from 8:00am to 6:00pm.

8. Re: Chengdu Panda Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2014