We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the correct Panda reserve?

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
57 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the correct Panda reserve?

Hello everyone,

I was planning a short 2-day weekend trip to Chengdu in late December. The main purpose of the trip is holding (and feeding?) the pandas. I have been researching on tripadvisor, but am a bit confused.

(1) Is the "Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding" at No.1375 Xiongmao Avenue the Outside Northern Third Ring Road, the same as the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base (Xiongmao Jidi) in Xiongmao DaDao (northeast of the zoo)? If they are different, which is the right or better one to go to for holding/feeding pandas?

(2) Are these places open on the weekends?

(3) Do you have to make a reservation in advance to hold/ feed the pandas? If so, where do you make the reservation?

Thanks in advance!

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

both should be the same place, about 10 km,25-min drive from the city center. Here is also the add in Chinese:成都外北熊猫大道1375号 , and the name of the breeding center in Chinese: 成都大熊猫繁育研究基地.

It opens in weekends except for some special occassion.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

Same place. Open every day. I think 08:00 or 08:30. Best to be there in the first half of the morning when Pandas are more active and feeding. Usually do not have to make a reservation but may have to queue up. Though in December, not as many visitors around. There may be days or times when Panda-holding will not take place. If you were going to Chengdu expressly for this, try to call in advance of making trip arrangements and see what the Center's plans are for your time period. If you were going to be in Chengdu for other reasons, then just have your hotel call and check as soon as you get there.

I believe cost to hold and get a photo taken with a Panda has gone up to RMB 1300.

London, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

<1.The both are same place.

<2. Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding open from 8:00-18:00

<3. You don't need to reserve beforehand. The cost of holding pandas is 500RMN. If hold panda to take photos, the cost is up to 1000rmb.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

Cost is 1,300 RMB - arrive at 8:30am get the trolley bus up the hill (10 RMB) for feeding first and then head to the nursery building for the office to pay and book for holding panda

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

1)you're totaly talking about one place. They are just the same place.

2)open everyday from 8:30am to 5:30pm. 58RMB/p.p

3)if you want to feed the giant panda, you should make a reservation and to be a volunteer first, then you can feed them. But if you just want to hold them and take pictures, just go ahead, no reservation.

Ganshoren
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

Xiongmao Avenue is same thing as Xiongmao Dadao (da dao in pinyin = 大道 = avenue)

Strongly suggest you go there in the morning: so you can observe Panda's breakfast ( I thing the only moment when you may thing you see them running ;)

I do not remember exact cost to enter the place where you can hold pandas (was equivalent of +/- 150eur) but I do remember that they do not take credit cards, only cash (RMB and USD) You pay for that somewhere inside the park, not at entry. Pay, then enter, no reservation required (was in March 2012)

And do not miss the red fox ...

Hope this helps

Melbourne...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

what a price. but unforgetable experience

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
59 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

56rmb to get in. 1300rmb to hold a baby panda.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
57 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

One of my mandarin speaking friends called the panda reserve to confirm whether we need to make reservations for holding a panda. Surprisingly, they said WE DO need to make reservations, and reservations can be made for 10 AM or 3 PM. We made the reservation for 10 AM.

Unfortunately, my friend only speaks basic mandarin, so is unsure about what he ended up making a reservation for (!). He gathered that the cost is RMB 2000 per person (!) and they will provide us some food to feed the pandas.

Does anyone have an idea what the 10 AM / 3 PM reservations are for? All I wanted to do was hug the panda and take a photograph with it!

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is the correct Panda reserve?

If the cost will help maintain the panda reserve then the price is justified.