We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

I am visiting Chengdu with my husband and teenage

son in December and have made enquiries about a tour with a guide, Do you think this is a reasonable plan and what about the cost?

Day 1,Visit the Chengdu Panda Breeding Base in the morning,8am-12pm.

Chengdu City sight seeing in the afternoon,Visit the Wenshuyuan Buddhist Monastery,Qingyanggong Taoist Temple,

Baihua Tan Park and People's Park in the afternoon.

Enjoy the Sichuan Opera in the evening.8pm-9:15pm.

Day 2, Leave Chengdu at 8am,and visit the Leshan Gaint Buddha in the morning,pay a visit to

the Huanglongxi Old Town on the way to Chengdu airport.

The price for the tour is CNY3400,including

-Transportation:private Van+driver+gasoline+toll fee

-Guiding service

-All the admission fee in the itinerary,including the Sichuan Opera.

Would really like some thoughts on this.

Thank you

1. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, November 01, 2012
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,813 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

I think the cost is very high.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

Thank you, that is what I thought but wanted to know what others thought.

4. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, November 01, 2012
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

Definitely extremely expensive.

6. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

Removed on: 11:49 am, November 01, 2012
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

Expensive.

You can do the first day completely on your own, just use taxis. Have where you want to go written in Chinese characters to show the cabbie. Pay for your own entry tickets at the obvious ticket booths by the front gates. You don't need a guide for these places. For the second day, the most valuable thing is a car with driver. You should be able to hire one for the day for a lump sum price to take you to the entry gates and then directly back to the airport. Again, I don't see why a guide brings any value to this venture. Just google a bit and print off some information for each of these places for free, or take a guidebook. .

This website might help you out: www.gochengdoo.com

Edited: 8:15 pm, November 01, 2012
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

After reading the itinerary, if you take a private tour, the price can be negotiabled on the condition that what kind of resturants and vehicle they provided as well as the tour guide. Is this a private tour for 3 of you? i recommend you choose reliable travel agency to ensure the service quality!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

All really helpful as always, thank you!

Yes this is a private tour for the 3 of us with one of the guides recommended by this forum. I have queried the price but been told this is the best price.

I am worried about doing on our own because of language barrier and limited time. We have paid a lot of money to get there with flights and hotels so want to make sure that we make the most of it.

I don't mean that we want to rush around just to tick things off the list, just don't want to be wondering around lost and looking for things and unable to communicate!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on this tour and its cost.....

The language barrier fear for this sort of trip is overblown. All these places are well on-the-beaten-track. It's not as if you're planning a Stanley-and-Livingston expedition to parts of China that have never seen tourists before. Get a decent map or maps--best printed out from the internet or acquired once you arrive. Take a small Mandarin phrasebook along (with English and Chinese characters), and have your hotel write down the places you want to go in English and characters to show taxi drivers and anybody else you may need to show. At least for Day 1. When you see the setups for this day, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with a guide and having the car isn't going to save you much time between these sights.

Maybe cut the "private tour" to Day 2 only, and make sure the agent knows that at Leshan you want to see the big Buddha site. Period. There are some tourist trap developments nearby with vaguely similar-sounding names, that the unwitting are steered to--all are time and money wasters which you should make clear that you don't want.

Edited: 1:53 pm, November 03, 2012