We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

Sorry I'm getting a little bit paranoid

But do hotels in China take our passports during our stay at their hotels and only return when we check out and have completed payments? Fyi, I've paid all room charges via Agoda. There's no reason for them to keep our passports, right?

Another trivial question: my Chinese tutor (I'm just trying to learn some basic Chinese for the trip) said in China, we will have to pay additionally for the (plastic) bags for the stuff we buy from them. Is that true?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,924 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

When you check in you'll have to show your passport, but they don't keep it. Yes many stores do not provide free plastic bags. You'll have to pay a small fee (a couple of cents) for them. It's to protect the environment.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

They just use the passport for copying info page, visa page, and to record info, then give it right back. Hotels will ask for a cash deposit or credit card to ensure payment for minibar, room service, or other charges. Keep any receipt they give you for this so you recover when you check out.

The plastic bag thing is mostly in grocery stores--normally a bag is only 0.2 or 0.3 RMB if you need one. If you are buying things in department stores or souvenir shops, they usually put in a plastic or paper bag with handles for free. A useful item to bring along is one of those nylon bags with handles that fold/roll up to almost nothing and can be put in a pocket or purse.

Edited: 1:36 am, October 05, 2012
Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

Crystal clear! Thank you both so much for your willingness to answer those trivial questions of mine!! They are indeed trivial but very bugging.

Re: the plastic/shopping bags, I think I will bring some from home. I don't mind few cents, but I don't want to be handed back many pennies or give the sellers chances to round up the prices.

australia
Level Contributor
928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

Hi

Why bother bringing your own plastic bags , its only in supermarkets you have to pay for a plastic bag and not all of them as well

'' paranoi strikes deep , into your heart it will creep''

Cheers

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

I love your honest input, sakya! It's wisdom that you said. I'm not so proud of that trait of mine and working hard on it. But it's actually particularly worse this time as this's going 2b my 1st time to China. I'm quite nervous and really want to make it a problem-free experience.

But anyway, my sister always has a pack of plastic bags and eco-shopping bags given by supermarkets here in her chicken cabinet. It's effortless for me to just take some and put in one of the suitcase outer pockets that I've never really used.

Cheers!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,238 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

PLEASE don't bring plastic bags to China. They are trying to protect the environment by not allowing their use. Do the right thing and bring a calico shopping bag just as you would at home.

By law you must carry your passport on your person at all times. Most expats don't do this but you can be asked to produce it ... And will need it to buy train tickets, change money etc.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

I usually buy the laminated reusable bags in China's big box stores (Carrefours, Century, Lotus, Walmart) for about 3-6 yuan. They are unique and colorful, many times with excellent designs. I buy several extra bags and give them as gifts when I get home. Ladies seem to love to shop with nicely designed bags no one else has.

Never ever give up your passport for anyone to hold. Your entire stay in China and exit therefrom depend on it. If anyone attempts to keep it, contact the police.

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

I feel I was so naive about the passport thing!

Just for your information, in Vietnam, wherever places I stay, I have to give them my National ID. And they keep it until after I make payments. But of course, National ID is not as important as passports, and I don't know if they keep the foreign tourists' passports like our IDs.

zhuhai2007, please don't worry so much :) I bring plastic bags in, I bring them out. You think after I use them to carry the purchases to the hotels, I just throw them away in your country? I still need them to separate and carry stuff to home! Sometimes plastic bags are truly needed as they're waterproof, so the stuff will not get wet if we're caught in the rains or some thing spills in the suitcase. Anyway, I'm a scuba diver, I'm very much concerned about overuse of plastics!

SobeSparky, the laminated reuseable bags is good idea for gifts. I will buy some if they have Chinese traditional patterns/paintings :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,035 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

You plan to shop in supermarkets and buy so much that you need a bag? Tourists rarely need to worry about this. And it is just added to our bill and will not result in them rounding up the price or giving you more small change than you will have in any case. It is unlikely that you total will come to a round number in any case and you will be given exact change in all circumstances.

Maybe different where you live but in Canada we also need to pay for bags in supermarkets in some other stores. Not just in China.

10. Re: hotel to keep our passports during our stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 14, 2013