We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

I will be flying into Chengdu and would like to visit JZG and Huanglong. Afterwhich, I will go to Lanzhou.

Which mode of transport will you suggest I take from JZG to Lanzhou? Or do I have to head back to Chengdu first?

I am trying to balance convenience, time taken and price involved, so any suggestions are welcomed.

BTW, i can converse in basic-only mandarin.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Lanzhou
Lanzhou
Gansu, China
Nanking
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

yes,you could take bus from JZG to Lanzhou,but only from May to Oct,the bus is avilable,and it is really long distance,650kms,maybe would costs you one day

Mentioned in this post
Lanzhou
Lanzhou
Gansu, China
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

Jiuzhaigou has few options, as it is a remote area with no trains. Express a/c buses generally go to Chengdu, part of the ride on modern highways and the rest on two-lane blacktops.

Your viable options are flights connecting through Chengdu or Xi'an. You might find the best fares through Xi'an for around 1300 yuan, more or less. Connections in China are two distinct flights. See Top Questions about China, "How do I cut costs..." for more info.

I am sure there is some over-land scheme to go the relatively short distance as the crow flies, but it is through rough mountain terrain, so the real land distance undoubtedly is twice that. Buses on rural China roads have frequent accidents resulting in deaths, especially in bad weather.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

Best is to fly into Xian then fly or take train to Lanzhou.

Edited: 10:40 am, April 15, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Lanzhou
Lanzhou
Gansu, China
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

Travel by land through South Gansu to Lanzhou might be not open to foreigners. So take big risk you are stopped and send back to Chengdu at some checkpoint.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzhou
Lanzhou
Gansu, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

Due to flight cost and save time, I have to change my itinary from Xian because I want to discover Yunnan during summer, I need your help to make choice from Chengdu to the south of Yunnan during 10 days.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
6. Re: Chengdu - JZG - Lanzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, June 19, 2013