We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

Ferndale, MI
6 posts
Save Topic
Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

Is it possible to do the Panda base and Leshan Buddha in one day? My wife and I will be in Chengdu next week. We would like to see the Panda Base first thing in the morning, then see the Buddha in Leshan in the afternoon.

We are comfortable with using a bus rather than a private tour to save money.

However, we don't know where to look to find bus routes. Can someone help us?

Is it possible to take a bus from a main hotel area in Chengdu (if so, which area?) to the Panda Base? If so, which bus line goes to the base?

Then is it possible to take a bus from the panda base to the Leshan Buddha? Again, which bus would we take?

Finally, which bus would we need to take back into Chengdu?

How much would these bus rides cost for each person? Is taking a taxi a viable alternative? How about a group tour that will have the same itinerary?

We found a private tour, but the quote was for $200US per person. That seemed a bit high to me, I was expecting less.

Any help would be appreciated.

NYC
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

That would be tiring! We did the panda research center in one morning, and then went to the fantastic Sanxingdui museum in the afternoon. Personally, I thought the museum was far more impressive than the giant Buddha. And it is closer. I think trying to do the Buddha the same day and then coming back would be tiring and you couldn't really appreciate any of it. And if you are doing it by bus (we had a driver) it would be pretty impossible, I think

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

I'd prefer you to take taxi to/back from Panda base then take bus (30-40 RMB depending on different bus) from Xin Nan Men bus station to Leshan. Then taxi 10 Yuan to the Giant Buddha.

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

I went to the Panda base one day and the Leshan/Buddha the next day with a driver. It was expensive and if I had it to do over again, I would skip the Buddha and go to the Wushan monastery and some of the other sights in 'Chengdu with Elaine, the guide I had for one day.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

For the panda base, you can do it by taxi in the very early moring in order to catch the feeding time of the animals and save time for the afternoon buddha tour, it takes you only about 0.5 hour from downtown to panda base in the very early morning without traffic jam, price will be around RMB70-80 one way, afterwards, you'd better catch a bus to Leshan at Xinnanmen bus station no later than 12, since it takes about 2.5 hours getting to the buddha, finally, you take a bus back to Chengdu at Leshan Xiaoba bus station, the round-trip bus rides cost RMB100/person, seems not very time efficient, however, I heard that it has join-in group day tour for foreign visitors in Chengdu but I didn't take any of it for I have been to those places quite few times.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

Hi Sundevil98,

Like what I Posted on the other Topic about day tour to pandas and leshan buddha, I am very confused about it, found quite many group tours online with the same program but different prices, but most of them are affordable in my mind,here are some for your reference,:

travelsichuanguide.com/tour/panda_Leshan_bud…

jiuzhaigou-holiday.com/tour/Panda_and_Giant_…

www.panda-tour.net/tourline/351028.html

Chengdu, China
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

You'd better travel in two days, it's take half an hour to go to Panda base and 2 hour to Buddha,so you must take 5 hours on the way,there isn't enough time to enjoy the beautiful scenery.In the first day, you may visit panda base. The second day, you can travel to <a href="http://windhorsetour.com/sichuan/guide.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign= target="_blank">Emei and Leshan Grand Buddha</a>, others always spend 2 days there, I think one day is enough.

Chengdu, China
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

You'd better travel in two days, it's take half an hour to go to <a href="http://windhorsetour.com/sichuan/panda.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign= target="_blank">Panda Base</a> and 2 hour to Buddha,so you must take 5 hours on the way,there isn't enough time to enjoy the beautiful scenery.In the first day, you may visit panda base. The second day, you can travel to <a href="http://windhorsetour.com/sichuan/guide.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign= target="_blank">Emei and Leshan Grand Buddha</a>, others always spend 2 days there, I think one day is enough.

8. Re: Panda Base and Buddha in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 pm, June 19, 2013