We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chengdu Guide

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Chengdu Guide

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a guide and driver in Chengdu - all suggestions welcome.

Many thanks!

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
95 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chengdu Guide

Hi Anna

We have just returned from China and in Chengdu we used Julie as our tour guide.

She was excellent and very keen for us to see and experience as much as possible in the short time we had. We had 2 half days and 1 full day. On our full day we went to the Pandas early in the morning. We left our hotel at 7:30am which made it perfect timing at the pandas. It was great having Julie there as she knew where to go for the best views. We then went out to Leshan to the Giant Buddha for lunch and the afternoon.

We paid 500 RMB per day for our guide, Julie and 1000 RMB for the driver for the panda/Giant Buddha day.

Chengdu was the most expensive place for drivers out of the 6 cities we visited. Not sure why but this seemed to be comon from what we could work out on previous postings on TA.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Edited: 12:40 am, October 09, 2011
Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
95 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chengdu Guide

Sorry Anna I forgot to add that I can forward Julie's email adreess if you would like her contact details.

Beijing, China
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Chengdu Guide

Hello,

We are traveling to Chengdu and our guide had to cancel at the last minute - can you forward Julie's contact details to me please ?

Thanks !

Don

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chengdu Guide

Hi there,

Thank you for your suggestion and apologies for my late reply! If possible would you please be able to forward me Julie's contact details?

Thank you!

Anna

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
95 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chengdu Guide

Hi Anna and netdesignate

Here is Julie's email address: Junyun Zhang [junyun1220@ymail.com]

One thing i would like to point out is that Julie requested payment for most of our tour before we met her which we felt uneasy about as on all TA sites it is often mentioned not to do this in China. In the end we decided to pay up front as we wanted a guide and found Julie to be very honest . She said it was necessary to secure the driver etc. Our 3 other guides we had in Beijing, Xi'an and Yangshuo we paid at the end of our tour.

Please see my posting re our itinerary.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chengdu Guide

Hi, thank you for that. Sorry I couldn't find your post re your itinerary...who did you have as your guide in Xi'an and Beijing?

Anna

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
95 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chengdu Guide

Hi Anna

I hope you found the post - I had put it under Chengdu Guide but maybe it took a while to be posted.

Our guide in Beijing was excellent. We used the subway a lot with him which kept the costs down and the day we went to the Great Wall it was not as expensive as Alvin hired a car and he drove us. I will put a post on Beijing later today with our itinerary and costs. His email address is :

alvinbenton@hotmail.com

We would not necessarily recommend our guide in Xi'an I think perhaps there are better ones.We feel we were lucky to have excellent guides in Beijing and Yangshuo.

Hope this helps

Ozgum

Edited: 8:15 pm, October 20, 2011
Sussex UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chengdu Guide

We booked our tours through a local tour operator, Dragon Delights and our guides in Beijing (Johnny), Xian (Ying), Chengdu (Ken) and Yangshuo/Guilin (Helen) were all excellent. I imagine you could book them directly but I don't have their direct contact details but you could get Dragon Delights to arrange the tours.

If your interested we put our holiday experiences online at www.my-family-travel-to-china.com so you can see what they arranged for us.

Good Luck

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chengdu Guide

Were these english speaking guides? What kind of things did you do? I plan on going alone(Female, mid 30's) so someone who i can speak english with would be great. Someone mentioned that they will take public transportation with you to save on costs, is that true? How long did you have your guide?

Sussex UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chengdu Guide

All the guides were English speaking. I don't know about travelling on public transport - we travelled as a family of 5 so it made sense to have a driver.