We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days visit Datong, Wutaishan, Pingyao, private van?

Kapellen, Belgium
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 days visit Datong, Wutaishan, Pingyao, private van?

Hi there,

This summer we, a family with 4 kids (8, 10, 12 and 13), will be visiting Mongolia and China. The last 12 days we will spend in China.

This is our suggested route:

13 August arrive in Datong at 23.00 (from UlaanBatar via Jining)

day 1: visit Yungang Caves and Datong

day 2: Datong - Hanging monastery - Muta Wooden pagoda - Wutaishan

day 3: visit Wutaishan

day 4: Wutaishan - Qing Courtyard - Pinggyao

day 5: visit Pingyao

day 6: visit surroundings Pingyao, Zhangbi underground castle. In the evening sleeper train to Beijing (from Pingyao?).

We would like to receive some feedback on the itinerary and the best way to do this. Is it possible to do parts of it with public transport or is the best way to get around by private van? We do not want a guide, and also prefer to arrange our own accommodation. What would be a good price for minivan with driver for 6 days?

What is the best way to go from Pingyao to Beijing? Is it possible to book a soft sleeper from Pingyao or should we go to Taiyuan? How can we book this train?

In Datong we would like to stay in a budget hotel / hostel in walking distance of the Railway Station. It is difficult to find one online. Any suggestions for this as well?

Thanks for your help and feedback

Mentioned in this post
Datong
Datong
Shanxi, China
Pingyao County
Pingyao County
Shanxi, China
Taiyuan
Taiyuan
Shanxi, China
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days visit Datong, Wutaishan, Pingyao, private van?

You arrangement sounds very reasonable. I think Day 4 is Qiao not Qing. You need to hire a van, no public transport can be fitted for your plan. Price is hard to predict for me. Better consult at some local agent or tour companies. Tickets Pingyao to Beijing is always not bountiful. But Taiyuan - Beijing is never a concern.

Mentioned in this post
Pingyao County
Pingyao County
Shanxi, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days visit Datong, Wutaishan, Pingyao, private van?

Best way from Pingyao to Beijing is first get to Taiyuan then bullet train from there. August is very very difficult to get sleeper tickets and particularly for 6 of you. On Day 6, I would check out of Pingyao hotel and have private van take you and luggage to the places you want to see, then drop you at Taiyuan train station. There are 3 "G" bullet trains leaving 18:00 or after, so you should still get a full sightseeing day in, then in Beijing that night. It would be best to have an agent arrange for those train tickets in advance, and deliver them to you when you arrive in either Datong or Pingyao.

You definitely will need a van to get around. I don't have a sense of pricing for this either. Try contacting CITS in Datong with your wish list, at least until a drop off in Pingyao. Probably a different van from a Pingyao-based agency to do a van for the last day. You won't need transportation for Day 5, that's all on foot/bicycle, or old town tram.

Edited: 4:09 pm, March 18, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Pingyao County
Pingyao County
Shanxi, China
Taiyuan
Taiyuan
Shanxi, China
Datong
Datong
Shanxi, China
Kapellen, Belgium
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days visit Datong, Wutaishan, Pingyao, private van?

Thanks for your quick responses! They are really helpful.

@OrientalRed, you are right about Qiao.

@kvchina, I didn't think of the bullet train. Sounds great. I think we will try to get seats on this train.

Today I sent an email to CITS Datong about the van. I hope they can arrange one at a reasonable rate. Good idea to end the carrental in Pingyao and arrange another van for day 6.

Thanks again for your help!

Ingrid

Mentioned in this post
Datong
Datong
Shanxi, China
Pingyao County
Pingyao County
Shanxi, China
4. Re: 6 days visit Datong, Wutaishan, Pingyao, private van?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 09, 2014