We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfers from train station and other questions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
536 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
transfers from train station and other questions.

Would i have trouble getting a taxi from Datong train station to Garden hotel after 10 pm,or should i take the train that arrives at 5 pm from Beijing?

Should i book a cits tour for mid April that needs 10 people(will there be enough people to fill the tour) , or would i be better off getting a driver from my hotel?

Will there be daily flights from Datong-Xian in April?China eastern,Tianjin, or will i have to fly to Beijing and then get another flight to Xian?

Datong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

There is no problem to get a taxi after 10pm out of the Datong train station just a little bit more expensive.If the CITS have enough peope that is quite cheap tour but it hasn't one day tour daily. I think if you arrive Datong at 5pm you will meet the CITS employee at the exit of the railway station of Datong. You ask them if they have one day tour for the next day then to make sure what do you want.

Flights from Datong-Xi'an ,

MU2532, departure time from Datong 12.25am and arrival time in Xi'an 1.50pm , Daily Flight

GS6644,departure time from Datong 5pm and arrival time in Xi'an 6.35pm, Only Wednesday ,Friday and Sunday

Train informaton from Datong to Xi'an ,

No.2671 From Datong to Xi'an 4.40pm--9am , if you want I can help u to book the train tickets in Datong

Boston...
Level Contributor
536 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

Is the soft sleeper train comfortable enough for sleeping, for a westener?

I have been in contact with Cits for the tour,but she stated that the tour does not run unless there are 10 people signed up.

When will the flights be listed for April,as of now the agencies all show that no direct flights are available.

Datong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

I think the soft sleeper is enough for the westeners.There are four bunks which both two upper and lower bucnks inside a cabin.

It is the summer flight program during 1 April to 31 Oct. so then flight list will be available during 15-20 March.

Please click www.elong.com I heard somebody booked their flight of early April one week ago. Just an idea hope can help you :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

Nancy, can you please tell me if there is any high speed trains from Datong to Xian. We arrive in Beijing this December and wanted to go to Datong then to Xian, but wanted to go by a high speed train. We didnt want to back track to Beijing to go to Xian . do you have a solution as i think this is our only chance to catch one, as our trip from Xian then goes to Lijiang, Shangrila Kunming and Guilin, where we fly out from China, any suggestions appreciated. Getting a little confused trying to make this all work. thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,060 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

You can check train schedules on www.cnvol.com or ask help from a ticket agent such as china-diy-travel.com

Datong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

The high speed train from Datong to Xi'an is under construction now. It is said that it will be completed at the end of this year.

You need not go back to Beijing . There is a train from Datong to Xi'an everyday,departure time Datong is 4.40pm and arrive Xi'an 8.56am +1 and one flight to Xi'an also. If need I can help you to buy the train tickets in advance.Please feel free to contact me directly at Nancyprivatetour@gmail.com.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

Thanks nancy, be wishful thinking if it opened before 8th december

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

We caught the K615 train from Beijing arriving Datong around 9.30pm in May. Train trip in afternoon is very scenic as passes though mountains in tunnels opening out to many valleys with sun setting. There were plenty of taxis waiting at the train station. We had booked our accommodation at the Garden through Travel China Guide .com and their booking itinerary has a message in Chinese for the driver as no English in Datong. Recommend Yungang Grottoes and Hidden Monastery. Suggest you hire private guide with taxi to visit both in one day as other Datong sites same as rest of China. We then caught train to Pingyao for 2 days visiting Manishan(highly recommend). Transferred by hotel car to Taiyuan for flight to Xian(1 hour). We liked evening trains but don't think we could sleep overnight on train.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

Hi greg, are you talking about the Maiji Shan Grottoes near Tianshui? Thanks for posting info. Think we will only spend a day going to Hanging temple and grottoes.Was trying to catch a bullet train somewhere on our trip in China if we go from Beijing to Datong and Taiyuan to Pingyao they arent the bullet trains, but still are fst compared to Oz.. Did you really enjoy the hanging temple as i swapped plans from Maiji Shan to got to the hanging temple.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transfers from train station and other questions.

We went to the Yungang Grottoes in Datong in Shanxi Province. The K train from Beijing was modern and clean. It was quite smooth and quiet and if you travel soft sleeper an attendant will call on you when your stop is next. The numbered train to Xian which we got off at Pingyao was older and made loud clangs and jerks every so often also toilets were not great. Would be hard to sleep on this train and recommend K train or better. The hanging temple was a real highlight of our trip. But would only spend 1 day in Datong and move on that evening to Pingyao or Xian. Flight from Taiyuan to Xian was easy to catch and we got 40% discount waiting about 3-4 weeks before flight and booked through Chinese travel company.