We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Which Qingdao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
430 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Hello.

We will be arriving by boat and have one day in Qingdao, I am not keen on organised tours so would really appreciate some suggestions for sightseeing. How far is the port from the main areas, is it walking distance ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Which port will your ship arrive? I guess maybe #8 port.

Then you need to know how many hours you will stay in Qingdao, when will your ship arrives and when it leaves.

One day is enough for Zhanqiao Pier, No#1 beach, Ba da guan(including Huashi villa), wu si square and Qingdao Olympic sailing center.

Don't forget the rush hour around 5:00-6:00pm., the city will be traffic jam and it's hard to find an available taxi during that time.

The plan could be:

1, leave the port/dock for Zhanqiao Pier(20-30minutes, taxi)

2, visit Zhanqiao Pier (20minutes)

3, walk to Tianhou Place and visit (20 minutes)

4, walk to LuXun Park and No#1 beach (40 minutes, including visit)

5, take a taxi to Badaguan/Huashi villa (10 minutes, also you can walk)

6, visit Huashi villa, (30 minutes)

7, go to Wusi Square by taxi, (5-15 minutes)

8, visit Wusi Square and Olympic sailing center. (30-40 minutes)

9, back to your ship (30-40 minutes)

for lunch or dinner, in Zhaoqiao Pier, Wusi Square, No#1 beach has MC or KFC, you can eat it for save time. Also you can choose Chinese food, but will cost at least 1 more hour...

The whole plan will cost you approx 6 hours without traffic jam.

Auckland
Level Contributor
430 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Thank you so much, thats very helpful. We arrive at 8am and leave at 5pm I don't know the dock number. Are the times you have mentioned walking times ?

Thanks again.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

in item#1, 5, 7, 9 are taxi time. others are walking... The whole plan is traveling along the seaside. So if the time is enough, you could walk along the sea side.

It's good that you travel in day time. You have time to have a Chinese lunch, and seafood.

You can choose where you want to go, I will write down the Chinese translation, just show them to the taxi drivers in order. :) Remember to prepare some cash and take along with you.

Also I could tell you the tickets, how much does the taxi fee cost, so you could make a budget.

I think you will start going back to your ship before 3:30, so you have one hour before the ship leaves.

Auckland
Level Contributor
430 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Thanks again, this is very helpful. We are happy to walk as much as possible but be very helpful to have an idea of costs and the names on Chinese script. I think I also need to study your Chinese language pages, an excellent idea. I want to make an effort to at least try to speak some Chinese.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Which scenic spots do you want to visit?

Auckland
Level Contributor
430 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

Hello,

I think we will probably try and follow your suggestions, it sounds great and given the time we have we should be fine. According to lonely planet guide we should also try "famous local brew (Tsingtao) and ditch the diet: Qīngdǎo has some of the best kebabs and seafood in north China" so if possible fit in a beer and a kebab !

Thanks, really looking forward to visiting

7. Re: I day in Qingdao travelling independently

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 21, 2010