We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

After 10 days in Beijing for the Olympics, we are looking for a nice day or two somewhere not too far outside Beijing to see more of the countryside. Will need a break from the city! Wanted to go to Guilin but realize it takes a whole day to get there. Xian sounds pretty good, but what is there to do once you have seen the warriors? Advise needed please!

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

Xi'an has more than the terracotta warriors.there are the city walls, the pagodas and bell towers, the Muslim quarter and some good museums. Overnight train is a good way to get there.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

Xian is a good choice, too, because it feels much more foreign (at least to me) than Beijing. The city wall is 9km and encloses the older part of the city- you can take a bike ride on top. The Muslim Quarter is a wonderful area- one of my kids said: "now I really feel like I am in Indiana Jones."

It is an area of small winding streets with a an Islamic Temple from around 700AD. Very interesting.

The Big Goose Pagoda is another temple with a plaza behind it. Beautifully lit at night, lively area, with shops, bronze sculptures, etc. There is a water and light show at night in fountains at plaza.Xian Garden Hotel is within 2 blocks- courtyard style, with peacocks near the patio and pond. Jeff, the guide often mentioned here, got us a courtyard room with balcony (about 80 US, I think).

We took the night train and that was great, too.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
913 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

Qingdao is a better choice I think. You know, Xi'an will be very hot in summer. Qingdao is Olympics Partner city.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

Xi'an is more than 700 miles from Beijing. If you only want a day or two trip why not visit the Great Wall at Simatai for some serious hiking and stay overnight. The hills were lushly green last week and the tourists are much fewer along this stretch of the wall.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

In Summer you can visit ShiDu(if you like the river,geography)

The countryside i found is not very interesting

Maybe a trip to DAtong to see the hanging temple and yungang grottoes

Or chengde the Summer Resort

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

Leo Hostel has some good daytrips that go not too far from the city: http://leohostel.com/index_files/leotours.htm

There's plenty to see and do in Xi'an! Apart from the Terracotta Warriors, I think my favourites were Hanyangling (also known as the tomb of the Han dynasty emperor Jing) and the Shaanxi Provincial History Museum. Other usual sights to see would be the Great Mosque, Muslim Quarter, Big Goose Pagoda, the city walls (you can cycle on them), Bell and Drum Towers and the Forest of Steles. There's a Tang Dynasty performance which's very popular with Western travellers, and you could opt to include a dumpling banquet. The dumpling banquet can also be eaten at the famous De Fa Chang restaurant at the Muslim Quarter/Bell Tower square. There's also a music fountain at Big Goose Pagoda which's said to be Asia's biggest and very popular (read: mobbed) during any evening.

If you're after some mountain-climbing, Taishan, Huangshan and Huashan are all possible options -- though you'll probably need to make it a 2 or 3-day trip from Beijing.

7. Re: Short trip outside Bejing-Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Qingdao
Recent Conversations