We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Dalian

Which Dalian hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
626 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Dalian

I recently travelled to Dalian & Beijing, China with my old college roommate. She was travelling for a brief speech at a conference – I was travelling for fun. Since there has not been a lot of information posted on Dalian here at Trip Advisor, I thought I would do a quick trip report on our brief stay here.

My friend was attending a conference, which was our sole reason for visiting Dalian.

Day one: We flew from Newark to Beijing and then transferred planes to fly onto Dalian. Terminal 3 was impressive and modern. Chinese immigration & customs & security were unbelievably fast & efficient. The airport transfer check in process at Air China was very efficient. We made our connecting flight despite the fact that our flight was two hours late from US. Had enough time to get money from ATM and terrible coffee Americano at the gate before we flew to Dalian.

After a quick flight we landed in Dalian’s smallish airport. At baggage claim, we were accosted by women who were selling tickets for the “taxi bus”. The tickets were for 50 RMB each and they claimed it would be over an hour ride due to “road closures”. I think they just stopped at every hotel in town - like a big hotel shuttle. We went outside to the taxi stand and caught a cab. I had the hotel name written in Chinese. The taxi ride was about 30 RMB and took 20 minutes.

We stayed at Hotel Nikko - very smooth check-in. Beautiful western style hotel. After dropping off our luggage, we came downstairs to the lounge. It appeared that most everyone was drinking tea but we wanted something stronger, so we orders wine. Our wine choices were “red” or “white”. I got red and my friend got white and they suspiciously tasted the same. However, it hit the spot particularly after over 24 hours of total travel time.

Day two: My friend headed off to her conference so after my coffee, I took a long walk around the hotel area. Traffic was very heavy. I ended up at Friendship Shopping Center, which was filled with US type goods at US prices. I felt like I was at a Mall back in New Jersey. I did get a little lost but I managed to make my way back. I saw lots of little dogs and stopped to pet them all - missing my puppy at home. Near our hotel, I found a restaurant called “Café Copenhagen” and got a good coffee Americano. My mandarin phrasebook came in very handy in trying to explain “black coffee”. The café had free wireless so I emailed back home.

After a break back at the hotel, upon the recommendation of the concierge, I took a cab to the Dalian Fashion Mall (cost 8 RMB). This mall was very high end. Behind the mall there is an open air market with lots of flip flops and miscellaneous stuff to buy. I walked back to the hotel and it was getting hot. The air is more polluted than home and kind of hangs in the air. I had no problems navigating in Dalian. There was more English and better placed signage than in Beijing. I ended back up at the Café Copenhagen for a cold-ish beer and some kind of chicken sandwich. It was a nice rest after all the walking.

After a shower and some rest, I walked to the Shangri-La hotel for the conference welcome banquet. I got a little lost but I stopped at another hotel and the bellman helped me after I showed him a card with the Chinese name on it. After the banquet, we wandered the streets. We found our way back to the bar I found earlier, the Meetinghouse bar, for an amazingly cold Coors Light. The bar was decorated with Bob Marley and Harley Davidson posters. There were several male singers who were singing “boys band” type music. We had our first experience with squat toilets. Afterwards, we walked towards the hotel through and outdoor market that had food grills and fresh seafood (the mussels were squirting at us).

Day three: We got up and ate the hotel buffet breakfast and explored. It was hot and dusty. We did a little shopping and stopped at a cute coffee shop and enjoyed some more free wifi and coffee. The nice thing about Dalian was that free wifi was everywhere. Hit the Café Copenhagen for a good lunch again before it was time to head to the airport. Traffic was very heavy at it took twice as long to get there. Airport was very crowded and HOT HOT HOT. Onto Beijing….

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,737 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Dalian

Being by the sea, air quality is usually better in Dalian than Beijing but some of it is also weather related sometimes. I mean, if it is hot and stuffy and no wind, pollution will get worst.

I am surprised you found more english in Dalian than Beijing. I think that it may have to do with the part of town that you were in as it is generally the other way around.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Dalian

There really are not many tourist sights in Dalian, but it sounds like you missed Bin Hai Lu and Zhongshan Square. Both are worth a visit. The underground shopping mall near Dalian Station is also very unique.

Overall, it's an industrial and high tech city. The high tech park is the home of many big global companies like IBM and SAP that do software development and outsourcing for the Fortune 500.

Seafood is the famous dish in Dalian, with many cheap (by western standards) fresh seafood restaurants. Man Po is the most famous and expensive.

My favorite restaurant in Dalian is the Sichuan restaurant located in the Chuanwangfu Hotel, next to the Senmao Building. Very cheap, delicious and clean. Even has a menu with pictures for those challenged by Mandarin.

The party place is Club Alice. That is a unique experience.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Dalian

Going to Dalian today, thanks for the wonderful write up - could not find anything anywhere. Your a saviour.

4. Re: Trip Report - Dalian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 04, 2012