We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Dalian
Search

Was, isn't, may be

South Pole
Level Contributor
314 posts
63 reviews
43 helpful votes
Was, isn't, may be
Save

We went to Dalian last the weekend to see what was advertised as a clean and beautiful city. We wanted to see it before it becomes overrun and spoilt.

Too late.

The inexorable march of progress is stomping all over the city. The air is polluted, the vista is hazy, the roads are clogged with traffic, parts of the city that were once green and open are now building sites with high-rise apartments, and several of the famous squares are now clad in blue metal sheeting with construction of a metro system.

We went to the beach but decided that the water wasn’t what we are used to for swimming in, and so decided to give that a miss. Dalian is a commercial port and there is also a naval port is Lushun just to the south. Lushun made for a pleasant few hours.

Russian Street was reportedly famous for the architecture in the street. That which remains is now masked by the awnings of Chinese vendors selling assorted junk items with inflated prices.

Dalian is still very popular amongst the Chinese, and therein lies the problem. With more cars on the road every day the city is now within reach of millions as a weekend getaway.

Talking of vehicles; It was interesting to see the wedding groups circling Xinghai square in their parades of cars, all being videographed for posterity. None of the fountains were running on the Saturday when we visited and, along with the lack of trees this large square looked barren and devoid of character. The vista is also not helped by having layers of high-rise buildings on one side and grubby water on the other.

A drive around the eastern coastal road was more rewarding with views of the rocky coast and the pine clad hills. It has a quasi-Italian feel to it.

The central city has many shopping complexes ranging from dingy markets to modern malls, which is usual in cities these days.

An evening stroll allows closer inspection of some of the architecture in the central squares. If you avert your eyes from the blue-clad centres there is still interest in the range of buildings.

I understand from discussions, whilst there, that the town is much changed from how it looked even five years ago, and a more frequent visitor lamented to me on the green spaces that have since disappeared. I don’t know if the ex-mayor who contributed much to Dalian’s former glory returns often or whether even he would have been able to determine a better state for the city during this economic boom. Perhaps after the boom period focus will again return to polishing the façade.

Dalian is still a relatively pretty city compared to others in north-eastern China. But I fear that it is just not worth a specific trip unless you happen to already be close by.

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Was, isn't, may be
Save

your observations are accurate and well written. when bo xi lai was mayor back during the 1990's to around 2003, the city was perhaps one of two of china's most prestigious cities. now, bo xi lai is the party secretary of chongqing and he continues to perform a marvelous job at cleaning up the municipality, ridding it of its gangs and corrupt officials.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
204 reviews
257 helpful votes
2. Re: Was, isn't, may be
Save

Sad to hear this. I'd never say it was a city with much to offer casual visitors, but it used to be a pretty good place to live.

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Was, isn't, may be
Save

dalian continues to offer cleaner air, on average, than beijing. in beijing's cbd, i stay at the ascott located at the intersection of guomau qiao in choyang district and have noted that the air quality, save for the weeks leading to and during the 2008 olympics, has not improved over the 10 years timespan i have been visiting.

South Pole
Level Contributor
314 posts
63 reviews
43 helpful votes
4. Re: Was, isn't, may be
Save

That's very interesting. Chongqing is my favourite city in China. I have only briefly visited but it had an energy and a feeling of difference.

5. Re: Was, isn't, may be

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2011