We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changchun 5 days?

Which Changchun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cape town
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Changchun 5 days?

Hi, I will be in Changchun for a few days in June - what should I make a point of seeing? My son (18) and I (47) are travelling together.

12 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,059 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Click on "Things to do" on top of this page. I guess that you have some business there as one day is already a lot in this city for a tourist.

cape town
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Thanks JP, yes family meeting. Thought maybe something someone has found that is not on the regular list of things to do or perhaps a little different from the run of the mill sights.

Thanks for the reply.

David

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Hi Drommie, I'm heading to Changchun in a couple of weeks for a family meet up. If I discover any gems I will let you know.

cape town
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Thanks Bear, appreciate it. Just to add, we are heading to Beijing after that and have 4 days to explore anywhere between Changchun and Beijing.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Hi again I am in Changchun and I hate to tell you there are no undiscovered gems. The restaurant/shopping area around Guilin Rd is worth walking around, and you can spend time in the various parks and gardens people watching. The puppet emperor's palace is rather odd, but quiet and has historical interest. The Buddhist temple has been closed to the general public when I have tried to go there. Other than that there are lots of western style, not so cheap shopping malls. Also good to know basically no one speaks ANY English! It's a very busy city and so worth catching the buses. When you board you put 1 RMB in the box near the driver. If you want to catch a taxi you need to have where you are going written down in Chinese. The national park looked beautiful when I flew over but still covered in snow. I think it would be worth visiting on your way to Beijing. Hope this is helpful.

cape town
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Thanks Bear, seems like it is going to be a long 5 days however we will try the puppet and a park or two. You say it is a very busy city, I assume the transport system is very crowded then. The no English is a concern but I will be with chinese speaking people at times so it should help but I will prepare for when we on our own. Thanks for your time.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changchun 5 days?

My pleasure, I went to Nahu park today and that was nice. Public transport can be crowded but depends on the time of day, likewise with taxis at certain times of days it's almost impossible to flag one down but outside peak times it's not too bad. Enjoy your stay anyway.

Hoyanger
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Hi i just got brack from Changchun, i was there for almost a month, and i loved it, i lived in a chep hotel it cost 135 yuan a night and breakfast was 8 yuan, no deed to squander you womey on epensive hotels, spend it on the food instead, go to the sechuann resteraunts,, you cabn also get a boww of noodles for 14 yuan, big bolw with vegys and some meat in it,There is an ecellent japanes restaurant the tabaki,, i got there adress in chines, but the phone number is 82212666, And yes almost no one speaks english, iy ask in the hotel sometimes they can help, get them write adresses on little post it papers,, give the addy to the taxi driver, you get taxis in the street all over the place, but try to be on the side of the road where you headed, a typical taci fare yould be 6 to 8 yuan, Be very carefull crossing the roads, the cars come fast even when the pedestrian ligh is green, and be prepared to be stared at alot, be always polite and humble any you will have a great time. DO NOT eat food cooked on the street, you will die,or wish you were dead, stick to the restarants, they are rated fr cleanynes with a poster issued by the health and safey authorities, a smily face and you will be ok,, no poster then dont eat there, if they get and angry face rating they remove it., Taxi,s,, hard to get around three o-clock pm,, they chage drivers,nd dont get stuck in renmin street in rush hour,, you would be quicker walking

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changchun 5 days?

What did you do for a month, besides not not eating street food that would have killed you?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changchun 5 days?

Cool! I dig your spirit!

Reply to: Changchun 5 days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Changchun